Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: To Theists: An Interesting Agreement ...

Napoleon is one of the most aggressive leaders of a state ever. And he also spoke pretty well of Islam when he was in the whole Cairo mess.

Here are some other quotes from Napoleon on religion:

-"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."
- "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich"
- "All religions have been made by men. "
- "If I had to choose a religion, the sun as the universal giver of life would be my god. "
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 PM

Have to disagree with you JustinA...if you think 12 guys left family, friends, professions to live and travel night and day for 2 to 3 years with Jesus then left the Gospel accounts to someone else then that is just not logical or even probable...Not to mention dying in his name...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Never said Napoleon was a nice guy but many do believe he was a genius...And he did do at least one good thing in letting the Jews out of the ghettoes...

Also the quote I cited originally was from his St. Helena period...maybe losing everything changed his outlook...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Well, I'm not quite sure what you want. The Jesus as described in the bible seems like a nice enough guy with some good ideas. Maybe a few dents in the armour here and there, but for his times certainly quite the liberal. Not many would dispute that.

What most would debate is his historical existence, his claimed miracles, if he was the son of god or if he was divine.

Plus I don't buy into the whole 'love conquers all' message, there is alot more to the world and relationships to people than that.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM

What most would debate is his historical existence, his claimed miracles, if he was the son of god or if he was divine. -Wow some really big questions here tame_deuces...

Check out a copy of The Case for Christ...I think it answers most if not all of these questions...Strobel is an Ivy league educated attorney who went into investigative journalism...He was instrumental in uncovering the Ford Pinto cover-up...He later researched all these questions you have about Christ from a skeptic's position...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What most would debate is his historical existence, his claimed miracles, if he was the son of god or if he was divine. -Wow some really big questions here tame_deuces...

Check out a copy of The Case for Christ...I think it answers most if not all of these questions...Strobel is an Ivy league educated attorney who went into investigative journalism...He was instrumental in uncovering the Ford Pinto cover-up...He later researched all these questions you have about Christ from a skeptic's position...

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh...I am continually amazed by how many Christians recommend The Case for Christ...that book is seriously terrible..Whether you are a Christian or not, you should see that...it is thoroughly destroyed all over teh internets
Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 PM

Yes, I have debated it quite abit actually. I come from a christian home and though we children learned little of religion untill we turned 15, after that I got quite used to bible meetings and similar, even if I tended to be the sole atheist. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Anyways the conclusions I came to was that if we look at it from a theist's point of view, then the worship of jesus, the cross and the bible are in direct violations of the first two commandments:

1.You shall have no other gods before me. (jesus)
2 You shall not make for yourself an idol. (cross/bible)
Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have to disagree with you JustinA...if you think 12 guys left family, friends, professions to live and travel night and day for 2 to 3 years with Jesus then left the Gospel accounts to someone else then that is just not logical or even probable...Not to mention dying in his name...

[/ QUOTE ]

The disciples didn't have a choice but to "leave it to someone else". Most of them were long dead by the time the Gospels were written. This is pre-supposing that the disciples existed in the first place.

You really are an embarassment to your faith. You can't even get the basic facts right.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Splendour,

JustinA didn’t just throw out the 70AD date at random. The Gospel of Mark, which is chronologically the first gospel written, talks about the destruction of the Jewish Temple, which took place in 70 AD. Hence, the writer of Mark wrote his account sometime after 70 AD. By the time the Gospel of John was written, the Apostles of Jesus would have been long dead.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a matter of opinion.