Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Can you NL players embarrass the MTT players? (X-post)

In the hope that I am not just clogging the board, this was my post..

What tilts me the most on this hand is your description of the villain. If your read is true, this is not the MO of a straightforward, not rich, probably satellited beer drinking east coaster. These guys are playing as long as they can play for and enjoying their time. You specifically said your read was 'not tricky and straightforward', both of which I think make it really difficult to pull some fake raise with the immortal nuts. I think it would have been much more clumsy and would have been silent, i.e., not make a big deal of it where his reaction needs to be exposed to everyone at the table. Often times these sort of players overvalue pretty flops vs two limpers / callers even with a hand like AK. While I don't think it is impossible for him to have AA or KK here, the reads don't add up in my mind for the whole acting job.

While I hate reading the river action, as it seems like it must be the nuts, if I leave that out I would not deduce by your description of this guy that he would make this play.

So, knowing the river, I think fold was right, but if I leave that out I don't think it is very clear and I don't think we can fold this turn. I also would check call the river. I don't really see what we've gained by the 5k lead. Maybe you can talk about this some, since I think it is interesting.

-trplthrt
Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 PM

fwiw i think i snap fold justin.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 PM

Seriously ZJ, this is a ridiculously standard fold and no [censored] key necessary.

I don't know if this is worse than gaucho's posts.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Was Villain scratching his nutsack?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i read it and now think that you and dlpnyc should have sex.

[/ QUOTE ]
haaahahaha ha hahaaha

[/ QUOTE ]
well done
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i read it and now think that you and dlpnyc should have sex.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2007, 11:07 PM

im guessing based on the fact that you described the armenian guy and that he basically did nothing in the actual hand, that somehow the "key" to this hand lies in his armenian palm.

a more logical "key" would be the fact that due to the dlp effect (the answer to the post lies in the heavily persuasive description heavily tilted towards one action) this is a clear fold becase what else does this guy raise out of BB with, check flop, and raise turn...
Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 PM

This is AA of KK. I play $50 and $100 NL and this seems to be the default line for a lot of players in this situation (ZOMG I FLOPPED A SET OF ACES ZOMG CHECK SO THEY DON'T KNOW). You said he seems better than most, but is a satellite player. If you put yourself in his shoes he's thinking 'ZOMG EARLY DOUBLE UP WITH MY AAA/KKK IM GOING TO TRAP THESE PUNKS!' He's never folding here, cause if his AAA or KKK loses 'ZOMG COOLER/BAD BEAT/AMAZING STORY TO TELL MY FRIENDS I HAVE MY AAA CRACKED IN A 10K TOURNAMENT ZOMG'.

He isn't upset on the turn when his action is determined to be a raise because 'ZOMG THIS GUY IS FIXING TO GIVE ME ALL HIS CHIPS WITH AQ OR KQ OR ZOMG HE BETTER NOT HAVE QJ BUT IM NEVER FOLDING HERE'

I still call the turn raise, because at this point I'm still thinking 'ZOMG THIS DONK HAS AK IM GOING TO STACK HIM AND IF HE HAS AA, KK, QJ, OR TT OMG I JUST GOT COOLERED POOR ME'. I can probably fold the river. I might actually make a smallish bet here with the intention of folding to a raise. You described him as straight forward, so he's calling with all worse hands and raising with most of what beats you (Maybe he flat calls the river bet with TTT?)

That all seems WAY too simple for a post from you, though.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a more logical "key" would be the fact that due to the dlp effect (the answer to the post lies in the heavily persuasive description heavily tilted towards one action) this is a clear fold becase what else does this guy raise out of BB with, check flop, and raise turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

ZJ explained that "the key" is that a turn call makes no sense for anything being way more important than the fact that he is blindingly obvious strong. Soo.. yeah.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 PM

the key is taht i might never fold a set in my life, and i am going to be so happy that i never did.

i folded one once when i was young and stupid, and was wrong, and i vowed to never do it again.

i'm very happy with that life decision/