Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Is Phil Laak tripping on acid?

[ QUOTE ]
phil laak is awesome, get over it

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It speaks volumes about Laak that the majority of the audience was rooting for The Sheik, a guy who refers to himself in the 3rd person.

The only thing that could make this better is that Jennifer Tilly is so disgusted with Laak's behavior on the show that she dumps him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the Sheik wasn't annoying whatsoever, hardly talked much at all really. He seemed in a different zone for once and actually played quite well while in said zone.

Laak's new nickname: The Peacemaker!

And yes, he was quite douchey the last two episodes.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:50 AM

I was getting annoyed when he kept asking if they were into Friday yet. But that isn't so much about him. I just wish the production wouldn't try to pretend that these poker players come in, once a day, for 5 days to play. Do they think the audience is that dim? That we just accept that the players come in, with the same clothes on for 5 days straight?

It's just like on HSP where they act like the comments from the booth are happening as the action takes place. Obviously all the commentary is done in post-production. I don't know why they aren't just upfront about that fact, instead of trying to make it out to be differently. It's not as if it makes any difference in the show.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do they think the audience is that dim? That we just accept that the players come in, with the same clothes on for 5 days straight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Come spend some time in a local cardroom, lol. Happens all the time!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for making a [censored] thread AND including a spoiler in it

[/ QUOTE ]

shut up moron. i hate you internet nerds
Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do they think the audience is that dim? That we just accept that the players come in, with the same clothes on for 5 days straight?

[/ QUOTE ]
Come spend some time in a local cardroom, lol. Happens all the time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah! You're right. Touche!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 PM

Phil Laak is several orders of magnitude less annoying than Humberto Brenes or Hevad Khan.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 PM

Ya Phil doesnt dance or sing and play the crowd when he bad beats somebody. Kahn and Humberto dont seem to care as long as camera or crowd is around.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Laak is several orders of magnitude less annoying than Humberto Brenes or Hevad Khan.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's like saying that herpes is less annoying than AIDS. That may be true, but I'd prefer to have neither.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 AM

I'd much rather play at a table with ONE phil laak than at a table filled with sbrugby's or paul wassicka's, even john juanda's. he comes across to me as genuine. i don't believe he acts for the camera, if anything he acts for the guys at the table with him. i have a feeling that if you wandered into the bike while he's playing you'd find similar behavior. in fact if you watch live at the bike you'll see the same behavior. i'm sure that many would say he's acting for those webcast camera's. do you really think that he can turn it on and off? do you really think that he's not just being himself? He treats every player at the table with respect and kindness. then again maybe i'm not so attentive since i miss all the angle shooting he's accused of. either way, he's the unabomber. he's currently a huge part of the poker world and i don't think that's going to change any time soon. in fact, don't be surprised if they give away unabomber bobble head dolls to the spectators at one of the wsop events next year. he's that huge!