Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is there anything ethically wrong with joyously pounding the raise button?
No, pound away 52 50.49%
Yes, but pound away anyway 13 12.62%
Yes, and I attempt to give my opponent a reasonable chance to return 19 18.45%
Not sure, don't care, pound away 19 18.45%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: FFB Ethics / Fair Play Questions

[ QUOTE ]
I also think that in general, trades should be confirmed by both parties again right before completion. What if I propose a trade for Manning, the next day he gets hurt, and the other guy immediately accepts before I get a chance to rescind?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you've got the right idea.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf how are people saying that #1 is fine and #2 is lame

#1 is a total angle shot. The trade was considered dead - it's just a function of the software that neither party rejected it. Clear angle shot.

#2 is standard. It is probably not a +EV play at all unless you are playing in a super-deep league. Picking up the best defenses and leaving the dregs is sensible.

kyro - I would sit the quarterback, unless there was reason for me to suspect scoring changes impacting scoring. This has happened before on Monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree

I am shocked at the people saying one is okay and two isn't.

#1 may not be "cheating" but it certainly isn't in the spirit of the game.

#2 I have NO problems with at all, but it would take an extreme situtation for it to be a good strategy. I have once found myself in this kind of situtation in a 13 team league with 20 man rosters at the end of the year, when I knew the position depth would know longer be needed. I won that league.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
speaking of which....

You're up 101-100. You have a QB left to go.

Is it fair play to sit the QB? Especially if he's Rex Grossman?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?? YES it's fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this several times in head to head leagues where I had the lead with players left for the Monday night game and took them out and left the spot blank. Once sat 4 of ten players. I just thought it was sound strategy.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:24 AM

" Once sat 4 of ten players. I just thought it was sound strategy."

you realize the possibility of tieieng and using most points as a tiebreak is like a billion times more likely than all 4 players combining for less than 0 points.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

C) When the trade was accepted, trade offerer IMMEDIATELY gave a WTF and objected to the trade, and stated he had absolutely no intention of making the trade at the current time. I feel this should have some say in the matter, especially in a league with friends.(Although granted, there is money on the line, additional money on the line between the 2 teams.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no difference. With money on the line and the trade on the table, I'm taking it, even if it makes me look like a douche. He knew the trade had to be withdrawn, and he didn't withdraw the trade. End of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you offered someone a trade, and then later in the week a player you wanted to receive was murdered, and your opponent was able to rush to the computer faster than you and accepted the trade, it would be okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the scenario at all. Nothing significant such as an injury or death occurred, Randy Moss is just outperforming his expectations.

Player #2 has to assume that since the trade remained on the table for TWO WEEKS that Player #1 still wanted to do the deal despite some good games from Moss and was hoping Player #2 would change his mind.

Player #1 had plenty of time to revoke the trade, no excuse really to be bitter afterwards.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:39 AM

Normally that might be the case...but apparantly the two had a aim conversation where player #1 ragged on player #2 for rejecting the trade and how he was glad he never traded Moss.

Player #2 never mentions that the Moss trade is still showing as an open offer. Player #1 and player #2 are friends and have a sidebet going together along with Nath.

So that makes it kind of [censored] up. But it still is within the rules given all Player 1 had to do was withdraw the trade.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:42 AM

LOL then Player 1 made a mistake and Player 2 made a slimy but allowable move.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 AM

With the extra circumstances in #1 it becomes more and more shady. It's clearly an angle shoot and getting closer to cheating and in all fairness the trade should be rejected.

In #2 if the guy doesn't pick up a defense during waivers and get burned for it, I would say it is just gamesmanship. He had his chance to pick up a defense. I however, would pick up the best player he dropped.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 AM

I wouldn't allow either in any of the leagues I commish (actually, our leagues are set up so #2 is impossible).

-McGee
Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
" Once sat 4 of ten players. I just thought it was sound strategy."

you realize the possibility of tieieng and using most points as a tiebreak is like a billion times more likely than all 4 players combining for less than 0 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

how were we going to tie, I was ahead

If you meant total points for playoff seedings, I didn't have to worry about that.

I agree it wasn't really needed, but it was fun to do anyway, lol.