Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you coldcall 2 raises in the big blind with 65s??
Always 2 2.70%
75% 2 2.70%
50% 4 5.41%
25% 10 13.51%
Never 37 50.00%
If I'm drunk 19 25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Re: PokerFink\'s 2007 NFC Rankings (Week 3)

I still remain convinced that most of the blame lies elsewhere for Bush's troubles. We know he can run rampant on teams, he did it in the last 8 weeks. It's not like he can't run the ball 20 times a game, either - he did it vs NYG last year and ran for 126 yards.

I think they should get him 15-20 rushes every game, a steady diet of draws but also run him straight up the middle of the situation calls for it.

Also, let him go for passes down the field if he's matched up on an LB. He can't be explosive if all you do is give him the ball 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage every down.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, let him go for passes down the field if he's matched up on an LB. He can't be explosive if all you do is give him the ball 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage every down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And throw more designed screens w/ blockers. When they get him the ball, he's usually in the flat all by himself.

One thing I've found with the Eagles lately (inc last year) is that they throw a lot more designed screens to Westbrook, which generally gain 10+ yards, and a lot less swing passes into the flat with no blockers, which generally gain 2 yards.

It's fine to throw a swing pass as a check-down if no one is open, but the Saints seem to do it as a design. Those plays don't work.

EDIT: A good example is the long catch and run touchdown Westbrook scored this week. It was a designed screen where the center and BOTH guards got in front of Westbrook to block. The blocking convey provided enough interference that no one got a clean chance to takle Westbrook, he broke a couple of arm tackles and goodnight. The Saints need to do that.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and why/how do you have the Saints above the Vikings and Giants?

[/ QUOTE ] While I'm down on the Saints I can't put them all the way to the bottom of the NFC. I still think they are better than a Vikings team with no QB and an exploitable secondary. And a Giants team with an inept defense (as I pointed out i think it was 80% Redskins and 20% Giants defensive improvment in the second half) and Eli Manning having to play over his head just to keep them in games.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree about Griese though. If I'm Lovie Smith, Grossman is done. Finished. Kaput.

[/ QUOTE ] You might be right in that Grossman is never going to be able to win with that play calling and with the way he is treated. However, when Griese doesn't get the offense moving and the second string defense is giving up points who is going to take all the blame?

Right now it looks like Tommie Harris is out this week and maybe next, Vasher's injury looked bad to me, non contact injuries are almost always a month, Briggs may play this week. So the Bears may have to play the Lions this week with a rookie corner playing against Charles Johnson, if he can play.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And throw more designed screens w/ blockers. When they get him the ball, he's usually in the flat all by himself.

One thing I've found with the Eagles lately (inc last year) is that they throw a lot more designed screens to Westbrook, which generally gain 10+ yards, and a lot less swing passes into the flat with no blockers, which generally gain 2 yards.

It's fine to throw a swing pass as a check-down if no one is open, but the Saints seem to do it as a design. Those plays don't work.

EDIT: A good example is the long catch and run touchdown Westbrook scored this week. It was a designed screen where the center and BOTH guards got in front of Westbrook to block. The blocking convey provided enough interference that no one got a clean chance to takle Westbrook, he broke a couple of arm tackles and goodnight. The Saints need to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Westbrook has turned into one of my favorite players lately because of runs like that. He had no business scoring on that play, but he just willed it in there. I think we will still hear from Philly by the end of the year. As for Bush, I think he could benefit from lining up wide more often and catching quick hitters (ala Steve Smith) and slants where he can get some open field. Obv he can't line up wide anymore this year, since the Deuce is on the shelf, but I just don't think he can affect a game from the backfield as much as he could if he was split out wide. This would also open up the reverse and all the variations of play action and dives that come with that.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 AM

They can still put Bush out wide - Aaron Stecker is a very reasonable back. Hell, he's the only back on their team with a positive rushing DPAR so far this year (small sample size blah blah blah).
Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM

I'm going on vacation tomorrow until Tuesday, so next week's rankings won't be up until atleast Tuesday night. The MNF game is two AFC teams, so usually I would have them up Sunday night, but not next week.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 AM

The Vikings pass defense isn't that bad. They finished last year ranked 16th and they are ranked 19th so far this year (DVOA). From a personal standpoint, their pass defense should be better this year then it was last year, but we'll see.

Also, Tarvaris Jackson has a higher DPAR then Drew Brees so far this season [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 01:10 PM

wow the nfc is weak, i think dallas can compete against the afc powerhouses, im not sold on greenbay, everyone else just sucks
Old 09-28-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow the nfc is weak, i think dallas can compete against the afc powerhouses, im not sold on greenbay, everyone else just sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a huge Dallas fan, but I'm not ready to say the 'Boys can compete with the AFC top teams yet. I'll have to wait and see how good the defense looks after Newman and Ellis work their way back in. As of right now, I'm just as nervous about the defense as I am excited about the offense.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:07 PM

putting Chi 2 slots ahead of PHL now seems laughable. Not that PHL is top 3, but no way Chi is that much better. They've shown nothing, done nothing, are injured, no TJones, no QB, missing several starters.