Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which College Football Rating System Rates the Teams Most Accurately?
One or More of the Human Polls (AP, Harris, OR Coaches) 1 7.69%
Sagarin Predictor 2 15.38%
Another Computer Rating System 3 23.08%
BCS 1 7.69%
Compilation of Various Computer Ratings 4 30.77%
Some Combination of Human Polls and Computer Ratings But NOT the BCS 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me

lets not get nitty
Old 09-25-2007, 01:59 PM

El D,

That's the way I handle it, too (although this happens to me at a "handful" of places, not necessarily "dozens.") However, I do think that it is standard for other industry folks to overtip in these situations, so since Bryan is himself a bartender, it doesn't surprise me that he thinks it's standard to tip the total price of the comped hooch.

-McGee
Old 09-25-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

your friend is assuming the risk of getting fired by giving away drinks to you. you are assuming the risk of consuming too many free drinks. i think you're getting the better end of the deal here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed that friend puts himself at risk. Disagreed that I will consume too many free drinks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How much do you tip here NT? ($15 tab, should have been $40). I'm with El D on taking the middle ground - around 30-35 total ($20 tip). This was reflected in my 3rd poll choice.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El D,

That's the way I handle it, too (although this happens to me at a "handful" of places, not necessarily "dozens.") However, I do think that it is standard for other industry folks to overtip in these situations, so since Bryan is himself a bartender, it doesn't surprise me that he thinks it's standard to tip the total price of the comped hooch.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

The hooch isn't comped, its stolen. And yes, having been a member of the food/beverage service industry workforce, I can tell you that hooking up your friends with beers and getting overtipped will offset the douchebag Mr. Pinks of the week. The difference between El D's tipping philosophy and my own is not very great.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't tip; don't believe in it

[/ QUOTE ]

Most appropriate gimmick account ever?

NH sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

good, but there is a reason that there is no space between Mr. and Pink.

Mr. Pink

[/ QUOTE ]

and not to be confused w/ Mister Pink
Old 09-25-2007, 02:17 PM

Whenever I get anything comped, I tip as if it wasn't comped. So in the example above, I would tip $8 (20% of $40). Pretty crazy to tip $25 on $15 if you ask me.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM

The Mr. Pink gimmick is amazing, by the way.

I don't like how tipping is mandatory now. Two examples, one I was an idiot, the other I wasn't.

I've been ordering from the same pizza place for...maybe 8 years now, it's a Greek place, I'm Greek, we're all very friendly. And this past year they got a new delivery guy, not Greek, not that it matters, and the pizza is $12, I hand him a $20 and he says, "do you want change?" At this point, my natural instict is take the pizza box and smash his head through it, hoping the hot cheese burns his face until its completly deformed...But I resist.

The second instance was my fault. I ordered chinese food, and they didn't tell me how much it was on the phone, and I forgot to ask, but I only had $30 on me. They took a long time to get it to me, and it cost like $29.50. I handed him the $30 and closed the door, and, haha, he banged on the door and started cursing in Chinese. I nearly fell over laughing...I mean, I regularly order from this place, maybe once or twice a week. If I don't have the $$ on me to tip, I'll give him extra the next time he comes, no need to go into a tantrum. Obviously, I never ordered from them again out of fear of having my rice with soy sauce being in reality rice with jizz sauce.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how the [censored] does he find your house if he doesnt speak english?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to hijack a wonderful tipping thread but ive been to paris and found my way around although i dont speak french. reading a map and matching names/numbers doesnt take mastery or even an understanding of the local language.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 PM

Matt,

Yeah, > 24. A handful of places in other cities, but tons of places in SF due to bartenders and bar managers moving around a lot, plus certain guys owning or investing in lots of different places. The service industry is a very tight community where everyone knows each other, so it's not unusual for people to have this type of arrangement at pretty much every place their social circle frequents.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Drew,

"Whenever I get anything comped, I tip as if it wasn't comped."

As a few have said, industry people or people w/ friends in the industry overtip as a rule. So maybe you don't want to tip as much as them, fine.

But even if you're not, it seems like common courtesy to leave a little extra as a thank you if someone gave you something for free.