Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Maybe

[ QUOTE ]
You guys mostly don't refute the information I am making available...just make lame personal attacks...the other night when I protested the prophecies link the historical accuracy should have been the focal point but everyone went off on a tangent...

[/ QUOTE ]
That is the whole point you are missing. Those "tangents" and "attacks" used the same bad rationale that you used. Even though what you are putting forth might *seem* like it makes sense, you need to accept that you might be biased about the subject and jumping to conclusions on faulty logic. This is not meant to be a personal attack.

I could get into specifics of the bad reasoning but you don't appear to be open to a discussion. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys mostly don't refute the information I am making available

[/ QUOTE ]

again, unless you are a particularly well-liked poster, you can't just link to whatever you want and say "analyze this."

pick a part of his essay that you think is persuasive. make it a manageable chunk. hopefully make it relevant to something people think is important. give your own opinions on it. be prepared to defend them with integrity and honesty.

people here are incredibly patient and willing to work really hard to defend their viewpoints if you demonstrate a willingness to engage with them in honest debate.

you will get all the analysis you want but you have to make your own investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of posters that I like that I would still tell to go [censored] themselves if they expect me to read and analyze some stupid website when they won't even put in a minimal amount of effort to offer their own thoughts.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The historical accuracy of the prophecies is something to marvel at...No one can dispute Christ prophesied that the Temple in Jerusalem would fall and it did...No one can dispute that there are references to the rise of Israel again and that Israel is back...

[/ QUOTE ]

I predict that the Sears Tower will eventually be demolished.

I predict that people will still live in NYC in the future.

Come on.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think you need to scare him with the prospect of an eternity in hell for rejecting the Christmas Gift of Jesus Christ to all men. It is totally rude to reject with prejudice someone's Christmas gift to you. A normal person would accept that gift, open it up, and see what it is, first, before rejecting it - or appropriating it - in his heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://orin.net/sarah.html
Old 09-22-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think you need to scare him with the prospect of an eternity in hell for rejecting the Christmas Gift of Jesus Christ to all men. It is totally rude to reject with prejudice someone's Christmas gift to you. A normal person would accept that gift, open it up, and see what it is, first, before rejecting it - or appropriating it - in his heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://orin.net/sarah.html

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. I think I need to take a break from this forum. All these brushes with lunacy are getting on my nerves.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no degrees, and I am not in full time ministry, other than the net, because when I get in a church and start teaching something, others feel impressed, and then threatened and then I am demonized ostracized in a heartbeat. People would rather feel good about themselves than be righteous. That is why I have turned to the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://orin.net/fredrick.html
Old 09-22-2007, 02:14 PM

I don't know why you highlighted this Sephus...what he had to say was very interesting and honest...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys mostly don't refute the information I am making available...just make lame personal attacks..the other night when I protested the prophecies link the historical accuracy should have been the focal point but everyone went off on a tangent

[/ QUOTE ]
I made an effort to address the historical accuracy - I picked out one specific instance, which had only the vaguest connection with the events it was supposedly "predicting" and also pointed out that they had made a mathematical error anyhow and, by their own logic, predicted Israel would be refounded in 1949 when it was actually re-established in 1948.

Your response to that was to suggest I contact them - this suggests you personally have no interest in discussing the topics you raise. Perhaps you see it as a way to educate? Nonetheless, the culture of SMP is very much based on an expectation that people will at least have a point and be prepared to debate it. I think this is the source of the frustration you're experiencing. You post a link, I say "Well this doesnt seem to make sense" and you reply "Go talk to them". It makes me wonder why you posted it in the first place if you're not willing to support it, nor attack its logic. I can find silly claims on the internet easily without assistance, I post and read here for discussion from intelligent people I respect and who wont be overly polite in pointing out flaws in my positions.

I'd be happy to discuss that prophecy I singled out with you, but I'm not interested in hearing them justify it (or more probably denounce me as a heathen) - doesnt a reading of the citation coupled with the fact that the maths in their argument is wrong make you think they are just playing silly word games? (And not playing them very well)
Old 09-22-2007, 09:53 PM

I didn't see a problem with the math with that prophecy at all bunny but I didn't sit down with a pen and paper...I accepted their explanation of the adjustment from old calendar to modern calendar...My point in posting the prophecies is to let people know the bible is a prophetic book. Do you know why they use the term "in fulfillment of the scriptures" in the New Testament...whenever they use that term especially as regards Jesus it is because he just did something that was foretold in the Old Testament...

The reason for the comment to contact them bunny is you seemed to doubt their credentials for posting the prophecies...and I wanted to let you know you could follow up with them for any questions...
Old 09-22-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see a problem with the math with that prophecy at all bunny but I didn't sit down with a pen and paper...I accepted their explanation of the adjustment from old calendar to modern calendar...My point in posting the prophecies is to let people know the bible is a prophetic book. Do you know why they use the term "in fulfillment of the scriptures" in the New Testament...whenever they use that term especially as regards Jesus it is because he just did something that was foretold in the Old Testament...

The reason for the comment to contact them bunny is you seemed to doubt their credentials for posting the prophecies...and I wanted to let you know you could follow up with them for any questions...

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is they say the Bible predicts Israel will be re-established 2484 years after 536 BC. They then claim it was fulfilled as Israel was re-established in 1948 AD (erroneously thinking this confirms the prophecy when it in fact contradicts it). If you think the bible is a prophetic work and that this is an example of one of the events it foretells - you've just provided a counterexample of its infallibility.