Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 07:01 AM

Default Re: A sin?

[ QUOTE ]
and accepting it all on.............FAITH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because every attempt at rationalisation fails! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2006, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to say it was God, then who made him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you said much more in your post but this grabbed me.
0 + 0 = 0;
This equation showed me whithout a doubt that there is an eternal being that trancends time and is eternal.
Because we have a 1 at this time(life). There always had to be a 1 before...
If there was ever a time when there was absolutely nothing, a 0 on the LHS of the equation then I am convinced there would still be a 0 on the RHS.

Faith is about not needing every answer, it doesn't involve believing contradictory or unbelievable things at all.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a guy who is struggling with his faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be the beginning of enlightement. Don't be afarid to examine! Here is a wonderful testimony from someone that may have gone thru similar doubts to your own and came out the other side all the richer for it.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The majority of humans believe in a higher power. I think a person who is sincerely seeking out God will start to develop his characteristics. One of these is a desire to do what is good and just. When we realise how many times we have done what is bad and unjust, we naturally apologise to 'God'.

It's not about if they are grounded in hard to understand theology, just that they are honest before God.
Anyone can find God and be with him in heaven.. a buddhist, christian, muslim, hindu, barman.

Is that you in your photo? nice hair dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an interesting position to take, it neatly solves the "what about the indians" question, and probably is logically consistant with your own experience.

However, if you follow it to the logical conclusions I think it breaks down. If true then the primary beliefs about the nature of God would be the same in all religions. But they aren't. In that case, why would God/Gods reveal contradictions about his nature, and interaction with the world to humans? In history, God's were widely used to explain phenomenomon like rain, earthquakes, etc. An awful lot of people sincerely sought God asking him to bring rain/stop earthquakes etc. Some people sacificed their children to convince God to produce rain.

If God didn't work this way (ie: he didn't mess with natural processes, or didn't want child sacifice) then why wouldn't God reveal that to people?