Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 AM

Default Re: is drinking alcohol an acquired taste?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll just come out and say it. The people that say they like the taste of any alcoholic beverage are simply mired in denial about the fact that they're doing a hard drug and will go to great lengths to delude themselves. Sure, some alcoholic beverages are more palatable than others but your little kid taste buds were right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally disagree. I don't like the taste of any kind of straight liquor - but many mixed drinks are genuinely tasty. Better than they would be if it were just fruit juice, etc. Same with beer and wine, there is more than alcohol in these drinks. Alcohol is just an ingedient. Plenty of ingredients taste like [censored] on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to say your being untruthful, perhaps your just an anomaly, but that is the crux of my hypothesis: No matter how much you're orange juice sucks or how good your gin or vodka is, the pure orange juice will always taste better.

Again, my apologies, I didn't mean to come off so antagonistic originally. I'm not of of the people that has either never drank or is a recovering alcoholic/problem drink and is subsequently very judgmental and disdainful towards a person enjoying alcohol. I say enjoy your alcohol, it's a great drug when used in moderation. I only offer the idea that any notion of an alcoholic beverage tasting good is the result of association, Pavlovian conditioning.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 AM

I would much rather have a milkshake than I would a glass of alcohol.

I only drink beer now and the occasional margarita. Whiskey sours are pretty good too.

The worst thing I ever had in my mouth was Tanqueray. It was too strong. Not sure how much you're supposed to water down that stuff. YUCKK. I will never drink that stuff again.

The second worst thing I ever tasted was some expensive smokey scotch that one of my professors tried to get me to drink. Jesus. Absolutely horrendous. I wanted to spit it out but thought it would be impolite.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only offer the idea that any notion of an alcoholic beverage tasting good is the result of association, Pavlovian conditioning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think you were trolling, CC.

Well I don't have the studies to disprove you, but you're making a blanket statement about preferences that apply to literally every person on the planet. That's hard to do. Supposing your statement is correct as applied to the vast majority of people, there are most still likely anomalies out of so many billion people who enjoy alcohol from the get-go.

How would you seperate alcohol from pickles or most common foods? Personally, pickles taste absolutely disgusting. To me, the most revolting common food in America. I go on tilt if a pickle touches my sandwich in those to-go cases. The taste is all sorts of offensive and everything I hate. This is probably 1) my genetic taste buds + brain wiring, 2) not growing up eating them. There's a (lack of) conditioning aspect in there. I think that applies to many things we consume.

Another example: I love sushi now, but couldn't stand it when I first had it. The taste, the texture, everything. I don't hangout with sushi snobs, or even eat it often, or think I need to like it to be cool. But, it grew on me. I'd say alcohol, or most things many people learn to consume/enjoy, falls into this type of conditioning - where repeated use might make you prefer it over more fruit juice in your drink. But, I don't think it's purely associative. We're all wired differently.

[ QUOTE ]
No matter how much you're orange juice sucks or how good your gin or vodka is, the pure orange juice will always taste better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I had a mimosa when I was a teenager, had no idea what was in it, and absolutely loved it.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bigmonkey really really needs a beer.

There's nothing wrong with a little relaxation. Beer opens that door sometimes.

I suggest Sopporro. For some reason it will make you sleepy after one 22 oz can. You won't fall asleep, but you will just feel.....

relaxed.

Oh, for optimal flavor, put it in the freezer for one hour, so that it is as cold as possible. It tastes very good and does not have an alcohol flavor. You want some ice chips.

Please report back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not against trying an alcoholic drink. I did a little google research and I think that beer is a little hard to find around here. I'll keep an eye out and will purchase some if I see it around though.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:55 PM

Yes, I acquired it in the womb.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM

It tastes horrible until you associate it with pleasure (being drunk). That said I don't drink, though I've been drunk once: I did it through beer and it was an absolutely disgusting taste.