Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: An Amazing Life

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To ZeeJustin:

An excerpt from Wikipedia on Jesus

"Biblical scholars and classical historians generally accept the historical existence of Jesus, with claims against existence regarded as "effectively refuted."

[/ QUOTE ]

That settles it!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a meaningful quote anyway, but typical misuse.
It's like confusing whether there was an actual Wild Bill Hickok and the one of legend.

Some biblical scholars believe that 'jesus of the bible' existed. the one that did strange things to fish and trivialized gravity. THAT is the jesus that influenced some people, the mythological jesus. He would have influenced them whether he existed or not.
No non-christian scholars believe that 'jesus of the bible' existed ... Or Else They Would Be Christians.
The possible 'poor slob jesus', hut builder, that may have existed never influenced anyone.

luckyme
Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM

Tacitus a Roman historian who lived at the time of Christ was no Christian...yet he mentions him in his histories...So he most definitely lived...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tacitus a Roman historian who lived at the time of Christ was no Christian...yet he mentions him in his histories...So he most definitely lived...

[/ QUOTE ]

are you reading every fifth word?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No non-christian scholars believe that 'jesus of the bible' existed ... Or Else They Would Be Christians.
The possible 'poor slob jesus', hut builder, that may have existed never influenced anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe he was a real and highly influential person (not a christian).
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Not sure what your point is Sephus? Another potshot perhaps? Surely you don't discount objective scholars that are actually closest to the source, closest to the object being discussed in favor of a lot of modern day scholarly conjectures?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:43 AM

Christians are not evil foal...They were the first to bring organized charity to the world...

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/cooray/btof/chap242.htm
Old 09-20-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what your point is Sephus? Another potshot perhaps? Surely you don't discount objective scholars that are actually closest to the source, closest to the object being discussed in favor of a lot of modern day scholarly conjectures?

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme makes a post where his whole point is basically "when you tell me X historian (or scholar) says jesus existed, i don't know that the historian means the same thing by "jesus" that you do."

and your respose to that is

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's like you're pretending that luckyme made an entirely different post than the one he wrote.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 PM

Quite honestly Sephus...I may have misinterpreted something said...Some of the responses on here are so curt, cryptic and poorly phrased I don't always get your full meaning...
Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, wait, lemme guess. You read the Bible allll the time but obviously don't take it to heart.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually just got done reading Matthew because of something my friends and I were talking about at lunch. Not sure what you mean by "take it to heart" or what your point is.

[ QUOTE ]
But yet, by your own admission, you are the one who says that it wouldn't take much for you to become a born again believer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I said this, and?

[ QUOTE ]
You say all of this while telling Christians that we're delusional, crazy, nut jobs, etc & offer to show us the light by recommending anti-christian books to read.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that some of the people in these threads are crazy nutjobs, but I never made this assertion about Christians specifically. Jesus told his followers they should expect to be mocked for their beliefs and to ignore non-believers, stop being so emo about it.

How is a book about critical thinking anti-Christian? It doesn't profess any hate towards Jesus or the Bible. Would a coloring book about animals be considered anti-Christian too?

Also, I am not trying to "show you the light," just pointing out that when you defend your belief system with the worst logic and arguments imaginable it drives people away who would normally be open-minded to your message.

[ QUOTE ]
How ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Add irony to the list of things you don't understand.

Was there a point in all of this? You are still ignoring the point I and others have made. i.e. that the MacGyver jokes are rooted in the same bad rationale that the OP is.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was a real and highly influential person (not a christian).

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me in. That's 2. (I am not Christian.)