Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: There is a God.

[ QUOTE ]
The Sportscenter clip of this thing is a real tear-jerker. This blurb doesn't do it justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm keeping it on my DVR. Hopefully you caught the extended piece they did on it, where they interviewed the coach.

I've made my wife watch it multiple times.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Paul Westphal was coaching the other team. Where is the defense? This would not be allowed to happen on any team that I coached (unless there was some prearranged agreement with the other team to let the kid take shots without a hand in his face).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know about that... If you watch it closely, you can see that the kid only had 1 wide open shot. In each of the others it looks like there was a defender within a step of him and between him and the basket - and often with his hands up.

I'm not saying that it couldn't have been pre-arranged, because it's not as if they put alot of effort into denying him the ball.

At any rate, the kid did really well to make 6 shots that were all essentially catch and shoot.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, just watched this again. Definitely something arranged, and I'd be kinda embarassed to be on the other team. I'm happy for the kid, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, so the other coach arranged to be down by 20 with 4 minutes left to play. And he arranged for 60% of the kid's treys to go in. How clever.

I could see if the coach of the autistic kid told the other coach before the game that if, by chance, it was a blowout, he was putting the kid in, just to warn the guy that he wasn't going to try to run up the score. Other than that, I have a hard time believing this was "fixed." The emotions of the coach in the interview can't be faked like that.

Plus, again, he was 6 of 10 from three. You can't rig that.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:10 PM

Rigged!

I'm kiddin'. I'm a sucker for things like this, but then again I go Awwww every time that kitten pirate posts too...

Hint,
--GA
Old 03-02-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Paul Westphal was coaching the other team. Where is the defense? This would not be allowed to happen on any team that I coached (unless there was some prearranged agreement with the other team to let the kid take shots without a hand in his face).

[/ QUOTE ]

I see typical high school defense there. There's a reason they were up by 20 before the kid even got in the game.

~D
Old 03-02-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Except for the autistic facial structure, this kid seemed totally normal to me. Maybe he is different in other situations or whatever, but he isn't really like any of the other autistic kids i've seen. Are there varying degrees of it or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Autistic facial structure? Are you perhaps confusing Autism with Downs Syndrome? There is zero physical deformity associated with any form of Autism.

You have probably only been aware of a very few individuals with Autism that you have come across in your life, or your exposure is primarily from the media ( and that is not your fault ) which tends to focuse on the individuals who have very obvious behaviors such as head banging, flapping their hands, and such. To answer your follow up question: yes there is a significant range of symptoms for individuals with Autism. Interestingly enough there is at least one diagnosis group within what is terms the "Autism Spectrum" ( the group of conditions which are collectively refered to as Autism ) which is usually accompanied by a higher than normal IQ; and we are not talking Rain Man kind of ability but rather a true broad specture IQ: Asperger's.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:56 PM

update: autistic kid meets President

I thought this was a little odd, but the kid seems cool so I like it.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 PM

Aren't they making a Disney movie out of this guy? At least they won't need to make a new character.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:06 PM

Wow. [censored] Wow.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There has been a couple threads about this the past few days, but thanks for the video link for all that missed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I think you get the record for latest Christmas avatar. Even VaVaVoom lost the Santa hat for cripe's sake. Might as well just leave it up til next year at this point. Or are you gonna try to pull off that those are St Patrick's Day candycanes?