Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: why are you not massively shorting the dollar?

op, you should check out the sports betting forum if you like betting on stuff that strangers on the internet are really sure about. and i dont even mean really sure. im talking about locks, op. L-O-X.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, as most people do not understand how bad the situation is right now with the US DOLLAR..........it is on the verge of being worth ZILCH, NADA, NOTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seek help.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:23 AM

our country has lots of issues now that will create inflation which will drive up interest rates and the dollar as well. i wouldnt be to sure its going to fall to far from here. but picking the direction of currencies is like picking your nose, you never are sure what is coming.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 AM

The dollar is going to crumble massively in the next few months/years...........how can it not?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you find that you are successfully able to predict currency changes, you might want to ask Alan Greenspan for a job as he has maintained that exchange rates are unpredictable. So I'm sure he will be very impressed when you prove him wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.reuters.com/article/bonds...71147920070917

Greenspan told weekly Stern it was "absolutely conceivable that the euro will replace the dollar as reserve currency, or will be traded as an equally important reserve currency," the magazine said in a preview of this week's edition.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Currency bets are best left to the experts as they are essentially a zero sum game. You can be a moron day trader and still come out ahead (if you keep transactions cost somewhat minimized) as the stock market is NOT a zero sum game.

As far as the USD, folks had good reasons to think it might fall and it did (we are talking 25% are so in round numbers). That is really a huge fall for something like the dollar which is still THE world currency when you get down to it. But there are limits on how far it can fall and it's not clear how much farther it should -- lots of people think the euro is over-valued now, for example.

Anyway, I am a currency guy, but I will at least note that part of the recent fall is b/c the US economy is weakening and a rate cut was expected and delivered (other things equal, there tends to be an drop in a currency in response to that country's Real interest rate dropping *relative* to other countries).
If Europe and other areas follow the US downturn, the USD will rebound against other countries. I'm not predicting, just sayin, keep that kind of stuff in mind.

Bottom line: play craps if you like high variance coin flips. You will at least get free drinks out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
our country has lots of issues now that will create inflation which will drive up interest rates and the dollar as well. i wouldnt be to sure its going to fall to far from here. but picking the direction of currencies is like picking your nose, you never are sure what is coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather pick dollars from my nose then, yuan, rubels, or euro's. I know what is coming and that is a showdown with Iran. When that happens, the rest of the world will want guaranteed US investments, even at a low interest rates.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I ain't trusting the Chinese or the Ruskies with my money, in whatever currency.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dollar is going to crumble massively in the next few months/years...........how can it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

A dollar collapse is a global economic collapse. Canned foods and small arms are my investments along with smaller positions in barbed wire and North Dakota real estate for this scenario.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

um

you do realize that further inflation means the further decline of the dollar, dont you?

the thing confounding the issue is the depth of the housing/credit bubble. its surely bigger than most imagine, as indicated by the FEDs sharp .50pt cut in rates. if credit contracts faster than the FED can keep up cutting rates, perhaps youll see the dollar improve as deflation comes in
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A dollar collapse is a global economic collapse. Canned foods and small arms are my investments along with smaller positions in barbed wire and North Dakota real estate for this scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reality bites, however honest it may be.