Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: 500 pushups in 2 hours

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, this is really a whole lot easier than you would expect it to be. Especially for someone who is in really good shape already. I'd bet it can be done in under an hour for someone is excellent shape. To give an example from personal experience, here is one of the routines out of Ross Emanait's book "Never Gymless." Grab a shuffled deck of cards; Aces have a value of 11, face cards are 10, all others are face value. For every black card you turn over, you do that many pushups - ex. Ace of Spades = 11 pushups. For every red card you turn over, you do that many burpees, which is essentially a squat thrust but you go down into the bottom position of a pushup when you throw your legs back and you jump up as high as you can when you stand up - so you are essentially doing pushups in this exercise as well. The goal is to make it through the entire deck of cards. This would equal 380 reps of which 180 are true pushups and the other 180 reps have a pushup movement in them. It took me a about an hour to complete the deck and I was not in excellent shape by any means.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got something similar from a guy, but burpees were replaced with crunches, and aces were 1 instead of 11. He just called it "doing the deck".

Anyway, I'm in decent shape (6'1, 205, was 6'1 190 prime in college 10 years ago), and I can do the deck in about 13 minutes (135 pushups). Never tried more than this, but it seems like I recover within 15-20 minutes. It'd definitely be close.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Has anyone here claiming it is easy actually done it or anything close? Just curious.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM

It doesn't look like anyone has actually done this exact challenge, but if you read up on some people's comparable challenges, it's pretty easy to assess that this is doable for someone who is in good shape.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't look like anyone has actually done this exact challenge, but if you read up on some people's comparable challenges, it's pretty easy to assess that this is doable for someone who is in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like which ones? The ones where guys talk about doing 48 pushups in 2 minutes or 138 pushups in 13 minutes or 180 pushups and 180 "sort-of" pushups in an hour? This has little relevance on 500 pushups in 2 hrs. Who here has posted anything about even 300 let alone 500? Nobody here has supplied any evidence to show this is easy.

The only relevant post I saw was the 1000 in 24 hrs, and that post said 500 in 2 hrs was impossible. Also, Jack Lalane doesn't count as data as he is a freak who has been doing this sort of stuff on decades of training.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone here claiming it is easy actually done it or anything close? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have done things close enough to know I could do this. And if you read through the thread, I think you'll see that others have as well.

If you have never in your life been of the mind to do push-ups several times a week for an extended period, then you aren't going to do well evaluating how do-able this is.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like which ones? The ones where guys talk about doing 48 pushups in 2 minutes or 138 pushups in 13 minutes or 180 pushups and 180 "sort-of" pushups in an hour? This has little relevance on 500 pushups in 2 hrs. Who here has posted anything about even 300 let alone 500? Nobody here has supplied any evidence to show this is easy.

The only relevant post I saw was the 1000 in 24 hrs, and that post said 500 in 2 hrs was impossible. Also, Jack Lalane doesn't count as data as he is a freak who has been doing this sort of stuff on decades of training.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll defer to you quickly on running. You have no idea what you are talking about here.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have done things close enough to know I could do this. And if you read through the thread, I think you'll see that others have as well.

If you have never in your life been of the mind to do push-ups several times a week for an extended period, then you aren't going to do well evaluating how do-able this is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that as yet everyone says its easy but nobody provided any comparable data to show it. I'd like to see someone say yes its easy, and here's what I've done to show it: ________

In your second post to me, you again assert its easy and again don't provide anything. I'm not claiming it's impossible. I am claiming that nobody in this thread has shown it is easy with anything other than poor comparisons. If I said running a 4:20 mile was easy and used the fact that I once ran a 0:59 1/4 mile, then you'd rightfully ask for more data than that as well.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:07 PM

I'm not saying it is easy-- I don't even know what that means in this context.

I know I can do it because I know what a set of 50 push-ups takes out of me, how long it takes to recover so that I can do another set of 50, and I know at what point sets of 50 get tough on that pace. I also know that smaller sets (an even smaller fraction of my one set max, will require less rest.) If you aren't near failure, it doesn't take long to recover most of where you were.

Doing 20 rounds on Cindy (200 push-ups in 20 minutes) is likely a good predictor of success because 1) the push-ups are just a fraction of the work being done by that person and 2) that person can manage that same push-up output over 30 minutes so that the effects of fatigue will be greatly diminished.

50 push-ups/2 minutes is probably not a good indicator, but 100/2 minutes is a lock.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:19 PM

If someone said they could do 15x400m each sub 1 minute in total time X, then you might feel confident of whether or not they could do it knowing their mile and how long the rest intervals time X allowed-- even though they'd never done more than 8x400.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone said they could do 15x400m each sub 1 minute in total time X, then you might feel confident of whether or not they could do it knowing their mile and how long the rest intervals time X allowed-- even though they'd never done more than 8x400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should make that sub 75s come to think about it...