Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Patriots get caught with camera man taping NY Jets coaches playcal

NFL: Patriots Violated Rules
Sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the Patriots broke league rules when they videotaped defensive signals from the Jets and the NFL is considering severe sanctions. The Pats will have a chance to present their defense by Friday
Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 PM

kick'em out of the league!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:16 PM

I'm not sure what their defense can even be here. Seems to me that they are pretty screwed. Any speculation on the penalty? What's the worst penalty we might see? I get a little concerned when I see Roger Goodell and severe sanctions in the same sentence. He hasn't exactly been soft to date.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-11-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom Brady to the Bears!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Patriots get caught with camera man taping NY Jets coaches playcalling

I can't take credit for this, heard it on the radio but it seems like such a good idea that there has to be something wrong with it because it's just too simple.

There is no problem with stealing offensive signals since the qb has a transmitter in his helmet and he gets the play that way. so they could have put an end to all this nonsense by doing the same thing with the LB who gives the defensive signal. Just put a transmittor in his helmet too.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Patriots get caught with camera man taping NY Jets coaches playcalling

Cut from a Fox sports article.

"There is no doubt that offensive coaches have strongly influenced the NFL's Competition Committee and that's why for the second year in a row a proposal to allow a defensive player to have a radio helmet — like the quarterback's — was defeated at the March meetings. The coach-to-defensive player radio transmitters missed by two votes, 22-10. The year before the vote was 18-14. With the Patriots getting caught, there definitely is a very good chance the defensive proposal will pass this April in Palm Beach."
Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 AM

I hope the Patriots forfeit the game (doubtful this will happen) because that would really, really intensify the Jets vs. Pats encounters. I'd love to see the rematch in New England. I think it's weird that coach B feels he has to cheat when the Pats can easily wup up on the Jets. We haven't heard coach B's side yet though.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope the Patriots forfeit the game (doubtful this will happen) because that would really, really intensify the Jets vs. Pats encounters. I'd love to see the rematch in New England. I think it's weird that coach B feels he has to cheat when the Pats can easily wup up on the Jets. We haven't heard coach B's side yet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot more to this than you may realize. Even though Parcells said "the border war is over" it reestablished itself when mangenius bolted to the Jets after Belicheck "advised" him not to and the bad blood between the two is common knowledge.

So the Patriot's made Reche Caldwell one of their last cuts. Guess what team had him in for a look see the week leading up to the game. Yup, the Jets. So the Jets grease Caldwell's palm and he gives them what the Patriot's have been preparing for the Jets.

This stuff I would imagine makes Belicheck insane. So he says, "[censored] them, we're taping this game, I don't give a [censored] about that league edict". (If you read Patriot Reign you would know that Belicheck is very fond of F bombs, so this is how I imagine him saying it.)

So in the context of the above, I see why Belicheck would do what I consider to be pretty stupid, considering the league edict.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:49 AM

The guy is a serious competitor. If you're taping every game for 3 years (just speculating) without being caught you're not going to change now just because you're playing the Jets.

maybe they started doing it only against the top teams then realized how easy it was. tehy were accused of it vs. green bay last year, another game they sure as hell weren't going to lose. once you creating a culture of cheating like that (i don't really even see it as a big deal) you don't alter it just because you're playing the jets.

edit: it's like a good crime story. the more you get away with, the more invincible you feel until you're just doing crazy [censored] right out in the open because you feel so untouchable. it's no surprise at all that they did it against the jets.