Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: The Well: SEABEAST

[ QUOTE ]
Are you coming to London later this month for the tournies?

[/ QUOTE ]

sadly no!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:24 PM

Is floating out of position something you do a good amount?
Example, you call a pfr flop comes 8c6c5, which completely missed you. Now you call the c-bet to bluff any club, 9,4,7,8,6? Or how about an A high dry flop. Here you lead the turn (repping turned 2 pair or better not allowing vilain do do a pot control check) I'm thinking its almost impossible for villain to continue without the goods here.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 PM

Jay

Do you think that your style, which is kinda laggro (opening alot of pots in late pos, 3 betting, 40% attempt to steal etc) is better in todays game environment than that of a 18/16ish tricky tag?

Do you think certain styles are definatevly more optimal than another or does it come down to personality and what you are and are not able to do?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:29 PM

while 12tabling, what hud stats u value/check most?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

biggest leak that most SSNLers have/how to exploit it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Leak is sort of a strange word for it, but I think the biggest problem SSNLers have is their approach to the game. A lot of people seem to see poker as a game of cards, like the way to win is to figure out hand strengths and the best line for each hand in each situation sort of thing. In reality it's more a series of situations which you are looking to exploit, and the way you make money is figuring out what the best way to take advantage of the current situation is each time it is your turn to act.

It's much less about how to play aces or ace king than it is about being able to identify stuff like: that your opponent will fold if you raise, that your opponent will call no matter how much you bet, that if you put in a raise here it makes it very tough for your opponent to continue out of position, etc. Stuff like that, look at the situation overall, not just the cards and the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this.

I have two questions with respect to this way of thinking about the game. 1) What provided you with the skills to be able to recognise different the relevant variables in any given spot and respond to them appropriately? Experience, innate skill, 2+2, poker books, session reviews, something else, a combination of things...? I really try to play explotitively in the way you describe, but in game time frequently I'll size up the situation and respond incorrectly one way or the other, but it sounds like you just have a really solid foundation on which you base your decisions. How did you go about developing that?

2) How on earth do you keep track of player's tendencies and the flow of a table playing 9 tables on average? Does that require you to rely heavily on stats?

Slightly different but related question, do you datamine and then try to build reads from known stats, or do you approach new players cold and suss them out just by observing them/prodding them and seeing how they react?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of Professional No-limit hold'em by Matt Flynn, Sunny Metha and Ed Miller? (If you've read it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read it. From what I gather it seems like it would be better than most other books but I don't really know.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you had any coaching? If yes who? And at which point did you decide that you wanted coaching? And how did it help you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never have, although I have spent so much time reading and thinking about stuff CTS, Samoleus, Flawless_Victory, Ansky and others have written that I should probably have paid them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I have come very close a number of times to getting a coach but my pride always gets the better of me. I know a lot of people that have been coached though and it is obviously very valuable.

[ QUOTE ]
And ye, post some sick graphs please.

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh. ok fine this is my year to date at online no limit cashaments

Old 09-10-2007, 05:37 PM

Also, I think I've already asked, but are you coaching?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How on earth do you keep track of player's tendencies and the flow of a table playing 9 tables on average? Does that require you to rely heavily on stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering this too
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM

that graph is ridiculous [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How on earth do you keep track of player's tendencies and the flow of a table playing 9 tables on average? Does that require you to rely heavily on stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering this too

[/ QUOTE ]

Its hard to really understand but Jay has been multitabling online for over 5 years so his multitasking skills are super-human. I think there are very few ppl that are able to do what he does, but ppl like cts and snowbank come to mind