Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Petraeus testimony, Democrats go too far questioning his integrity?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Don't even try to act like the commander in chief really cares about the threat of genocide if we leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you don't see the irony of saying that, right after you said

[ QUOTE ]
I'd never pretend to know what someone who wasn't me was thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, I generally disagree with you Copernicus, but this is actually pretty ironic. Lets cross party lines and do away with partisan politics to enjoy this moment together.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, that is just an assumption based off of observable actions/inactions. <font color="red">ie your statements were totally inconsistent and youre trying to rationalize why they arent </font> Just like I assume Iraqis don't want to die. <font color="red">that is not "pretending to know what someone (an individual) thinks, it is an observation of human nature. If you pick an individual, some may want to die, particularly if theyve been duped by AQII </font> I could be wrong there, too. I mean, given the option of building up a military and political system in Iraq and.. not doing it, they've pretty much chosen the latter. <font color="red">did you mean the opposite? </font> There's a surge in Iraq, yes, but there's no Iraqi surge, unfortunately. <font color="red"> after 3 months thats expecting a bit too much. first they need to have some confidence that we wont cut and run, then the surge may come</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-11-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Petraeus testimony, Democrats go too far questioning his integrity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There isnt a chance in hell he would be fired for an honest assessment of the situation that disagrees with the admin

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not about him agreeing with the Admin, it is about him making a statement about his competence as a soldier. If he says the surge isnt working that reflects badly on his leadership. He is just like a CEO being bullish about his companies prospects to the shareholders.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's not just like a CEO. The Army isnt a "company" (for very good reason) and the analogy doesnt hold water.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you make an unsupported statement that must make it fact.

Silly me to not realize that Patraeus's personal agenda would be best served by saying: "You sent me lots of reinforcements, but I am still failing in my mission."

To say that that is in not in the Commanders best interests to state that the surge is working needs a much better arguement that just a simply statement of the contrary. You are yet to supply one.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the difference between you and me there, sunshine. I'd never pretend to know what someone who wasn't me was thinking. Because.. I'm not them.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO you have no credibility and so typical of the silly stuff people post on this forum. Also you must not play too much poker.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what Iraqis fear. A good guess would be dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worthless sarcasm.

[ QUOTE ]
And a heck of a lot of them are doing that WITH us there. Don't even try to act like the commander in chief really cares about the threat of genocide if we leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you don't pretend to know what other people think? Now you know what Patreaus is thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
We could trolly on over to Darfur and help stop some ACTUAL genocide right now, if'n we really cared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically the U.S. has been the leader in humanitarian efforts in Darfur what a joke.

[ QUOTE ]
So that ain't it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this isn't an attempt at any kind of reasoned and rational debate. SOP for this forum.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 AM

The ones who whole-heartedly believe that Patraeus is bringing a completely factual, unbiased report are the same ones who believed that Rumsfeld was not spinning reports to suit his agenda...

Or believed Cheney when he said we could get Iraq under control for a few billion dollars and a few months of fighting...

Or believed Bush when he said that Iraq is our most immediate threat...

Or believed Rove's computer could accidentally and completely wipe out millions of email correspondences...

Or believe that Gonzalez EVER said anything in his hearings that remotely pertained to the truth...

Or believe that Michael Brown was in any way qualified to head up FEMA...

Or believe that the Patriot act was a necessary tool in the fight against evil terrorists...

Or believe that Bolton was the United States' best ambassador to the UN...

Or believe that we went to Iraq because they caused 9/11...no....they have weapons of mass destruction...no..because they have a humanitarian crisis....HAY GUYS, they have terrorists again!

I mean, I could go on, and on, and on. My point is, forgive me if I don't care to be spoon fed horse [censored] anymore. I've been six-months'd to death over the last 6 years, and I'd be willing to make a large wager that next summer is not going to be the end of it either.

Patraeus WILL tow the party line, or Bush will replace him. Everything I've seen up until now tells me this is true. If I am wrong and Patraeus actually can make headway in Iraq, then I'll be happy to say, "It's about [censored] time."
Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The ones who whole-heartedly believe that Patraeus is bringing a completely factual, unbiased report are the same ones who believed that Rumsfeld was not spinning reports to suit his agenda...

Or believed Cheney when he said we could get Iraq under control for a few billion dollars and a few months of fighting...

Or believed Rove's computer could accidentally and completely wipe out millions of email correspondences...

Or believe that Gonzalez EVER said anything in his hearings that remotely pertained to the truth...

Or believe that the Patriot act was a necessary tool in the fight against evil terrorists...

Or believe that we went to Iraq because they caused 9/11...no....they have weapons of mass destruction...no..because they have a humanitarian crisis....HAY GUYS, they have terrorists again!

I mean, I could go on, and on, and on. My point is, forgive me if I don't care to be spoon fed horse [censored] anymore. I've been six-months'd to death over the last 6 years, and I'd be willing to make a large wager that next summer is not going to be the end of it either.

Patraeus WILL tow the party line, or Bush will replace him. Everything I've seen up until now tells me this is true. If I am wrong and Patraeus actually can make headway in Iraq, then I'll be happy to say, "It's about [censored] time."

[/ QUOTE ]

Or believed that electing Democrats would either get us out of Iraq or get online poker fully legalized.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or believed that electing Democrats would either get us out of Iraq or get online poker fully legalized.

[/ QUOTE ]

"But the Dems are weak!" doesn't work very well when the other side is busy repeating Vietnam to a T.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm not overly fond (to say the least) of democratic principles. That's what makes this oh so sad.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
None of the general's statistics jive with any other credible source.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is remarkable. I rarely post in this forum because professionally, I don't have an opinion but I'd like to provide some facts.

1. Nobody knows more about what is happening in Iraq than General Patraeus. Nobody on the face of the planet.

2. The majority of the media reporting is speculating, making semi-educated guesses on slivers of information they either get fed or find for themselves. There is not much in the way of good reporting coming out of Iraq - mostly for a very good reason, its dangerous, maybe suicidal to go out and dig up a story.

3. Gen. Patraeus is (my opinion) likely giving an honest assessment of what he knows. Could he be motivated by other things, certainly. Is it likely? No.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
None of the general's statistics jive with any other credible source.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is remarkable. I rarely post in this forum because professionally, I don't have an opinion but I'd like to provide some facts.

1. Nobody knows more about what is happening in Iraq than General Patraeus. Nobody on the face of the planet.

2. The majority of the media reporting is speculating, making semi-educated guesses on slivers of information they either get fed or find for themselves. There is not much in the way of good reporting coming out of Iraq - mostly for a very good reason, its dangerous, maybe suicidal to go out and dig up a story.

3. Gen. Patraeus is (my opinion) likely giving an honest assessment of what he knows. Could he be motivated by other things, certainly. Is it likely? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Defense Intelligence Agency's own data did not support Patraeus's conclusions. Are you suggesting the DIA, one of the primary sources for intel data that Patraeus relies on, doesn't know what's happening?

Also, seems odd that FoxNews is even reporting the DIA data. Are you suggesting that FoxNews has an agenda to discredit the administration here?

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Sep09/0,4670,USIraqSeaofStats,00.html