Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Should Vice Principal Lose Her Job? - (*Warning-Gruesome topic\")

[ QUOTE ]
If she's been warned several times she should not only lose her job but be prosecuted too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody needs to be warned about this even once. People know not to do this even to their dogs. The lady did it knowingly and was unconcerned about her kid to a degree that is truly appalling.

It's a ridiculous thing to do, and speaks of a dangerously narcissistic mental disorder, to even do a more understandable version of this crime. A lady a while back left her kid in the car coming back from the store, and the kid died from the heat. Did she do it by accident? I pretty much doubt it. But at least she could make a very weak case A sufficiently idiotic and self-absorbed person could forget about their kid for an hour. But going to work all day and leaving your kid in the car? Sooner or later it would occur to anyone that they had done the wrong thing.

This lady is sociopathic enough that I would not want her around any children again for the rest of her life. She should not just lose her job, but her career. And then she should go before the courts and lose something more serious, in accordance with the depths of her depravity.

I am sure this woman will one day have another child, to validate her now damaged ego, which is clearly the only important thing in her life. I pity the child enormously. The very best it can hope for is to be a vastly distant second in her mother's affections to her mother herself.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How old was the child? how long was the child left alone in the car? the mother left the daughter alone and went to work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mr_Moore,

The daughter was 2 yrs old and yes, the mother left her in her car when she went to work. Apparently she thought the daughter was already at daycare and she did not realize she was still in her car. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow this is really disgusting

the same prosecutor in this case charged someone in a similar circumstance in 2000.

From blog containing link to court case
"Jerry Bittner was indicted in March 2000 on one count each of involuntary manslaughter and child endangering. The charges stemmed from a series of events that occurred on June 23, 1998 and resulted in the death of his six-month-old daughter, Serena. That day, upon Bittner's return home from work at 6:30 p.m., it was discovered that Serena had been left in the family's van in the driveway for more than an hour with an outside temperature of eighty-four degrees Fahrenheit."

Of course the cases are a little bit different(Bittner lied about what happened), but it's still ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people are seeing it for what it is. If you're a professional white woman who drives a Mercedes, and sobbing remorsefully, you're given a huge break. I know Prosecutor White has said the cases are different but I really don't see it. The father didn't want his little Serena to die anymore than Brenda wanted her daughter to die. But the father was sent to prison for 2 years. Same county, same laws.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:05 PM

blarg,

That was incredibly well written, and pretty much sums up how I feel about the case.

katy,

Do you know anything about the relationship between White, and Slaby's lawyer Croswell? The blog I linked to implies that White works for Croswell, who is also the county commissioner.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If she's been warned several times she should not only lose her job but be prosecuted too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody needs to be warned about this even once. People know not to do this even to their dogs. The lady did it knowingly and was unconcerned about her kid to a degree that is truly appalling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. Nobody of normal intelligence should need to be warned about this. The fact that she was, and the daycare center even went so far as to put it in their newsletter because they were alarmed, is very shocking. I hadn't thought about her having a narcissistic personality but maybe you're onto something.

I had thought more along the lines of her being so damn focused on her meetings and getting through her "errands" that she completely lost track of the baby. The idea that she has a narcissistic personality kind of makes a little more sense to me now because I was wondering how on earth any woman could be THAT spacey.

Can you imagine anyone, of any socio-economic class, forgetting about an impaired senior citizen in their care and leaving them in a car to die? They would be sent to prison for sure. It would be considered gross neglect and manslaughter.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

katy,

Do you know anything about the relationship between White, and Slaby's lawyer Croswell? The blog I linked to implies that White works for Croswell, who is also the county commissioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are absolutely right. A lot of us just found this out! Brenda's lawyer is in fact a Clermont County commissioner. Isn't that interesting? Of course he claims that he most definitely did not ask for any favors and never once called White personally, though he admits to talking to several of White's colleagues at the prosecutor's office. Standard, for lawyers.

Prosecutor White says his decision was his alone and was based on how the laws are written.

But a bunch of us are going hmmm, Yeah right! There was no influence there, huh? The commissioner's office sets the budget for the prosecutor's office, doesn't it? And part of that budget is the salary of the prosecuting attorneys. Jesus.

Here's a picture of Slaby's lawyer, the County Commissioner -

(If you knew this guy held the purse strings and could cut your budget in the fall, would it influence you?)

Old 09-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Yup, it would. Our society talks a good game about caring for children, but still treats them more like property than people.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Katy, if you don't want this person to rot in jail, what is your alternative?

It was blatantly obvious to me from the initial reading that there was "something" going on between her and the prosecutor.

I take a Jungian view point of the world: That this mother holds a ton of animosity toward her children. That they are two things that are scraping away her dreams. These children may not have been an accident at the time, but now she sees them as such.

Did you know that SUVs are marketed toward mothers who are ashamed of their children? With a large back and tinted windows, it is easy to hide her children from view. This says a ton about our society. I always had a distant contempt for people who drive SUVs.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 PM

This is tragic and terrible, and I feel some sympathy towards this woman, actually. I would be much more sympathetic if she didn't have a history of leaving the kid in the car for anything but the briefest of periods though - that's not right. Truth be told, there's very little anyone can do that could be 100th as bad as losing your child and being responsible for it.

I can sympathise because on at least one occasion I've put a briefcase or a phone or a child's car seat on top of the car while sorting stuff out, and then drove off not realising it (thankfully no child in the seat). I've also remembered while working late I had to pick my kid up from nursery, and have exactly 5 minutes to cover the hour's journey to pick him up. Working parents are busy people, they have a lot to juggle.

I also feel sympathy towards those people that through some act of dumb or forgetfulness cause some major accident and have to live through the consequences. No one is perfect, and we all move through a spectrum of supersharp right-on-the-button all the way through to dumb as a rock during our waking hours, but most of the time we're lucky, and the points of the day when we do the dumbest things, it's usually trivial and doesn't matter. I feel sorry for the guy that hit his peak of forgetfulness/dumb at the moment he had to secure the ferry doors in a certain way, or the woman who hit hers just as she got to the busy intersection and didn't see that motorcyclist coming as she pulled across.

That doesn't mean it's okay, it's just I think sometimes it's easy to snap judge about people. Sometimes it's better to just be grateful you're not in their shoes.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy, if you don't want this person to rot in jail, what is your alternative?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused myself as to what I want! In general I want less prison sentences for non-violent offenders [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. But I have to say that the more I read about this case and dwell on it the more disgusted I get with Brenda Slaby.

I feel compassion for her. I can't imagine how she is coping with this horrible chain of events. But I guess I don't think she should work with children any more. She is either too ditzy or narcissistic or she is trying to please too many people. This was an accident but of such huge proportions that I can't reconcile looking the other way and letting her go unpunished. Like I said earlier, if she had left an elderly man in a car people would not have forgiven so easily.

I think some acts are so offensive to the community that you have to expect to suffer the consequences. She should be branded incompetent to watch children and her family needs to severely restrict her responsibilities and duties as she cannot seem to multi-task.

I guess I think she should be charged with endangering and neglect. Yes it was an accident but she needs to realize that society will not tolerate this degree of recklessness.

[ QUOTE ]

I take a Jungian view point of the world: That this mother holds a ton of animosity toward her children. That they are two things that are scraping away her dreams. These children may not have been an accident at the time, but now she sees them as such.

Did you know that SUVs are marketed toward mothers who are ashamed of their children? With a large back and tinted windows, it is easy to hide her children from view. This says a ton about our society. I always had a distant contempt for people who drive SUVs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious about the SUVs? You're kidding, right? But even if you're not, isn't it very often the husband that pushes for the SUV because it's more sporty than a 4-door sedan or minivan?

And explain what you mean by the Jungian view of the world. You mean that our actions can easily be explained as they are not accidental?