Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Beer tabs for cash

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TSC,

Regulatory reasons, they get some sort of tax break based on various stuff they use tabs to document.

[/ QUOTE ]Can you elaborate on this, or would that require a lot of typing and/or research? This strikes me as a very inefficient/inaccurate way to document anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually a lot simpler than it all sounds. 90% of it is about mapping distribution channels and charting the flow of product consumption in regards to the private sector vs wholesale resellers (bars,restaraunts, nightclubs, etc). From what I've heard recently, tabs are soon to be replaced by low frequency RFD tags embedded in the bottom "dome" of the can itself. IOW, cash in while you still can. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo,

I'm sure you're right, I was thinking back to the old days when everyone would trade them in for kidney dialysis machines and other expensive medical equipment to support the local hospitals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gawd, you're confusing beer tabs with empty cigarette packs.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to forward some Bill Gates emails. I need to get the amount of that check from Microsoft high enough to pay my mortgage this month.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:06 PM

Ever wonder how frats have all that extra money they have for beer?

obv dues help but this is how they clean up
Old 08-31-2007, 10:08 PM

I'm surprised so many people didn't know about this.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CMAR: That is a completely different thing and had to do with all tabs, including soda. I am not sure how much of that was even true, I think some of the hospital equipment stuff was just urban legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sure like most everything it was way exaggerated - some guy with a coffee can full of tabs isn't going to retire on the proceeds - but when I was in the Boy Scouts our troop spent a year gathering two and a half tons of tabs which was used to buy the first MRI machine in the city.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I've heard recently, tabs are soon to be replaced by low frequency RFD tags embedded in the bottom "dome" of the can itsel

[/ QUOTE ] RFID tags, already being used by Kraft and Gillette. Also in use on new US passports and the soon to be introduced national ID card. Soon the government and companies will know exactly where we are and what we are buying!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:47 PM

I'm going to kill myself. Do you have any idea how much money I've just thrown away in my lifetime? It's got to be THOUSANDS.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
S,

"So I pulled the tabs from many different kinds of beer. Will that matter at all?"

Yeah, if you have mixed tabs the average paid per tab will be less. It's usually not a big deal, but if you have some expensive microbrews and stuff mixed in, you'll end up getting far less than market value for the tabs. If it's all similar type normal beer, it will probably make no difference at all unless there are brands not carried by the distributor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny story, my law school friend spent his summer at a legal clinic for people of low income and they actually had to do some pro bono work on a case for some guy caught making fake ones.

The stupid guy didn't realize they were laser etched with the serial numbers to match back to breweries, so he thought he could just dump them off. Best part was, he spent like $2k just buying the metal fabrication equipment to pull this off!

guess he planned on making thousands and using some fake names to send them in, but he got caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

What law did he break?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 PM

haha my frosh year my hallmate collected EVERY SINGLE beer tab in the whole place.. he was like some hippy from florida and said he was using it for ronald mcdonland or some [censored] ... he would literally scream at us if we didn't do it... i just called him and he said he was making beer money on us all along... and i am the jewish one... wtf man
Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
S,

"So I pulled the tabs from many different kinds of beer. Will that matter at all?"

Yeah, if you have mixed tabs the average paid per tab will be less. It's usually not a big deal, but if you have some expensive microbrews and stuff mixed in, you'll end up getting far less than market value for the tabs. If it's all similar type normal beer, it will probably make no difference at all unless there are brands not carried by the distributor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny story, my law school friend spent his summer at a legal clinic for people of low income and they actually had to do some pro bono work on a case for some guy caught making fake ones.

The stupid guy didn't realize they were laser etched with the serial numbers to match back to breweries, so he thought he could just dump them off. Best part was, he spent like $2k just buying the metal fabrication equipment to pull this off!

guess he planned on making thousands and using some fake names to send them in, but he got caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

What law did he break?

[/ QUOTE ]

some sort of fraud thing since the tab return thing is gov't regulated. i don't know all the details, i can talk to my friend and find out more.