Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: With Bodofg down...did anyone notice PStars front page?

[ QUOTE ]
Quoted from www.shoemoney.com:

[ QUOTE ]

Earlier today the Bodog website (bodog.com) went down. Many people thought it was just technical issues. A good friend inside Bodog pinged me and told me that the site was actually yanked out from under Bodog’s hands earlier today.

Apparently, some guy in the US who was awarded a patent for something to do with taking bets online filed a lawsuit against Bodog awhile back. Bodog didn’t respond because they are not a US company. So a judge awarded a default judgment of 50 million.

Yesterday, the guy with the judgment used it to seize control of Bodog’s domain names from Enom. Almost all of their sites are now offline, and now they are going to loose all of their SERPS.

I am sure this will make some big news tomorrow. You can see Calvin’s explanation here

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that would be crazy if true. I just withdrew all my money from bodog last night.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 PM

i think there new site is www.newbodog.com no? and they apparently fixed a lot of software problems, but you have to download the new version, why do people even play bodog or absolute its just a matter of time before they get ran over by stars and ftp, its really silly
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Welcome to the new (temporary) Bodog. As you may know by now, Bodog.com is experiencing a technical issue impacting our players' ability to access our website.

This is the result of a legal dispute over the ownership of the Bodog.com domain name. We are fighting this dispute. We are confident that we will win, but until all is settled, I do not want our battle to interrupt your play.

So, I present you with newbodog.com. You won't notice very many changes: same website, same brand, same product, and same service. Just a new domain name.

We are working to resolve any remaining issues on the temporary site as soon as possible, and fully expect to have our original site back up shortly.

I sincerely apologize if you were affected by our interruption and assure you that I will update you soon.

Regards,

Calvin Ayre
Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 PM

some sketchy reports that they've lost control of the name due to a lawsuit...

http://www.shoemoney.com/2007/08/28/...-in-judgement/
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 PM

whoops, sorry about the repost.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 PM

I've noticed the huge increase in people in the past two weeks also, but the nover the weekend there were also about like 110,000 people at this certain period of time.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 AM

more news on the how and why of the Bodog drop:

"Dr. Scott Lewis, owner of 1st Technology LLC, filed a lawsuit in the State of Washington against Bodog for infringement of this patent. Bodog did not respond to the lawsuit, and on August 1st, 2007, a default judgment was awarded to Lewis in the amount of roughly $50 million by the court.

In addition, the absence of Bodog at the hearing meant that whatever Lewis moved for as compensation was granted by the court, which apparently included an order issued by the court to enom.com, the registrar of the Bodog domain name, to remove all name servers for the Bodog.com and CalvinAyre.com domains - rendering the sites effectively blank.

There is no public record of the ruling by the court - apparently the record is confidential either because it was a patent issue, thus it was all filed under seal or there was not an opinion because there is a pending jurisdictional challenge. A third explanation for lack of a published opinion is that after the judgment, the parties reached an agreement regarding how to deal with the judgment, and a vast majority of patent settlements are also under seal."

http://news.parttimepoker.com/2007/0...domain-update/