Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Thinking of moving to New York

I agree that Hoboken is full of fist-pumpers (these are everywhere, have you been to westchester?) and frat dbags but I find that, at the very least, its easier to get ass if you are confident and have your own style than where I am now in Baltimore. Hoboken is a younger, wealthy, post college scene so this is to be expected. And as solid said there are more than 150 bars so there are a ton of options. Again, getting into the city is not much of hassle, it takes like 30 minutes max assuming you aren't really far uptown.

A lot more 2+2 in hoboken than I thought, there should be a meet up at some point.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that Hoboken is full of fist-pumpers (these are everywhere, have you been to westchester?) and frat dbags but I find that, at the very least, its easier to get ass if you are confident and have your own style than where I am now in Baltimore. Hoboken is a younger, wealthy, post college scene so this is to be expected. And as solid said there are more than 150 bars so there are a ton of options. Again, getting into the city is not much of hassle, it takes like 30 minutes max assuming you aren't really far uptown.

[/ QUOTE ]
This really isn't true. Especially on the weekends, and especially late at night. It's [censored] hell in the summer when you get to the 23rd Street PATH station at two in the morning and see the train leaving for Hoboken. That's a half hour you get to sit in a non-ventilated, non-air-conditioned train station, then another 15 minutes or so to Hoboken, then whatever walk you have. Believe me, it's convenient, but it's not THAT convenient. The real upside, as opposed to living anywhere else in NJ, is that the PATH runs all night. The NJ Transit trains and buses stop around two AM latest.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This really isn't true. Especially on the weekends, and especially late at night. It's [censored] hell in the summer when you get to the 23rd Street PATH station at two in the morning and see the train leaving for Hoboken. That's a half hour you get to sit in a non-ventilated, non-air-conditioned train station, then another 15 minutes or so to Hoboken, then whatever walk you have. Believe me, it's convenient, but it's not THAT convenient. The real upside, as opposed to living anywhere else in NJ, is that the PATH runs all night. The NJ Transit trains and buses stop around two AM latest.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. Taking the Path can be a real bitch late at night, and has sometimes taken me an hour to get home.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't really have a set type of place. I hate clubs. I like some lounges. Madame X is kind of cool on Houston Street. My favorite bar in the city is Makers on 3rd Ave. It's just your standard long bar with a pool table and seats. Holiday Cocktail Lounge is one of the few bars left in the city with real history.

I'm not saying it happens every day, but I do see a lot more needless aggression in Hoboken than in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]
ironically enough, that whole row of bars by makers aka tonic, mercury, joshua tree, etc. is b&t frat central. if you don't have a striped shirt and aren't crushing a red bull, you look out of place.

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you know this? i thought you hung out at the gay bars

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, about that, i don't like your picks.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ironically enough, that whole row of bars by makers aka tonic, mercury, joshua tree, etc. is b&t frat central. if you don't have a striped shirt and aren't crushing a red bull, you look out of place.

[/ QUOTE ]

people really still say "b&t"?

[/ QUOTE ]
was that supposed to be a clever dig? i hope one day to match that exceptional wit.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your financial situation I would not recommend moving to NYC, even if you live in Jersey or Brooklyn.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree. there is just no reason to do it given your job options. tons of people like you move here every year, go broke or into debt, give up and leave. yeah you have some fun going out and stuff like that, but not as much as you would think, and life is stressful and there is no [censored] space anywhere. if you're used to living in the country it sucks having absolutely no room and still getting raped in rent.

to me, unless you are coming here to do something that is better done in NYC, like working in finance or starting a band or something, there is no reason to be here just to be here. there are a lot of other cities with good stuff going on in them that aren't retardedly expensive.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check craigslist, you should be able to find places further uptown for around 800 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, in Harlem in somebody's closet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harlem is gentrifying and getting more and more expensive. Lots of students, etc. If you find a one-bedroom apartment for 800 in Harlem, it will probably be located under a coke dealer's sink or something.

You need roommates or a girlfriend to live in Manhattan if you plan to work in a bar.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 PM

OP,

Read this.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:48 PM

Don't move to NYC unless you make 5k a month.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

people really still say "b&t"?

[/ QUOTE ]
was that supposed to be a clever dig? i hope one day to match that exceptional wit.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

it was a serious question, i haven't heard the term b&t in years