Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Gonzalez resigned today

LINK

I find this a good thing. Hopefully the democrats will prevent another Gonzalez type person to be put in the AG position
Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Gonzalez resigned today

[ QUOTE ]
LINK

I find this a good thing. Hopefully the democrats will prevent another Gonzalez type person to be put in the AG position

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, if only Cheney would resign, we could impeach Bush.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:56 AM

I understand Michael Chertoff is likely to succeed him. Chertoff is a NJ guy and has a good reputation in the legal circles here. This probably is as good a choice as this president could have made.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand Michael Chertoff is likely to succeed him. Chertoff is a NJ guy and has a good reputation in the legal circles here. This probably is as good a choice as this president could have made.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the president and his administration, it is par for the course. For the rest of the people in the US, it's just more big brother.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/....id/index.html
Old 08-27-2007, 11:09 AM

I am really curious why all these guys have been resigning and the cynic in me thinks they are doing it before they get in trouble.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am really curious why all these guys have been resigning and the cynic in me thinks they are doing it before they get in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's cynical at all. That's probably the number one reason anyone resigns.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it so the repubs can say "hey, look at the dem congress wasting time, chasing after people who are no longer in the white house admin! Is that what you put them in office for?"

I'm telling you. The Dems are going to screw this up and another repub will go in the white house in 08. If the dems don't screw it up, there is always the electronic voting machines with no paper trail.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LINK

[/ QUOTE ]

Congress is in recess until September 4th so the way I understand it, Bush can appoint a replacement to maintain the continuity of government. I don't believe the Democrats in the Senate can do anything about who Bush appoints so this was the most logical time for Gonzales to resign.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congress is in recess until September 4th so the way I understand it, Bush can appoint a replacement to maintain the continuity of government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonzalez is not quitting until Sept 17th, so the office will not be vacant until after Congress is back in session. Thus, no recess appointment is possible.

q/q
Old 08-27-2007, 02:13 PM

Gah.

I don't like this. The gambling legislation seems to have leveled out for now. The last thing I want is some AG who's hellbent on enforcing the rule. Maybe even picking it as his way to make a name for himself in a very short time.

There hopefully isn't much to worry about, but in general I'd prefer my attorney general to be muddied by conspiracy charges than free to do his job.