Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: RFID ( Radio Frequency ID ) chips, George Orwell\'s Prophecy

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I agree that widespread apathy is responsible for our current condition. But I really, honestly, do not see why I would be any worse off in a country completely RFID'ed. Apprehension of criminals would obviously approach a 100% success rate, so that seems like a plus. And I assume it will eventually be possible to monitor blood chemistry with these things, so the drug war would be auto-won, saving us $70BN a year. Not to mention the enormous conveniences of eliminating paper money, credit cards, and all forms of ID. And these results would all come from fairly mature technologies. Who knows what be possible within a few decades.

So clearly you must be thinking of a specific downside that would outweigh all those benefits, and outweigh them handily. But I don't know what it is, and am fascinated that it's so opaque to me. Please elaborate!

[/ QUOTE ]

what happens when I read your information w/ my laptop rfid scanner (of which I already have), and reproduce my own chip w/ all your info on it?

People who stay abreast of technology, like myself, probably will have little trouble with any of these scenarios, its the rest of you guys who don't care/don't understand the technology that wont know how to defeat it and will be screwed, and this is probably abou 90% of americans. When you have 90% of americans being sheep, its hard for the other 10% who know whats going on to make progress into the direction we should be going.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I agree that widespread apathy is responsible for our current condition. But I really, honestly, do not see why I would be any worse off in a country completely RFID'ed. Apprehension of criminals would obviously approach a 100% success rate, so that seems like a plus. And I assume it will eventually be possible to monitor blood chemistry with these things, so the drug war would be auto-won, saving us $70BN a year. Not to mention the enormous conveniences of eliminating paper money, credit cards, and all forms of ID. And these results would all come from fairly mature technologies. Who knows what be possible within a few decades.

So clearly you must be thinking of a specific downside that would outweigh all those benefits, and outweigh them handily. But I don't know what it is, and am fascinated that it's so opaque to me. Please elaborate!

[/ QUOTE ]

what happens when I read your information w/ my laptop rfid scanner (of which I already have), and reproduce my own chip w/ all your info on it? People who stay abreast of technology, like myself, probably will have little trouble with any of these scenarios, its the rest of you guys who don't care/don't understand the technology that wont know how to defeat it and will be screwed, and this is probably abou 90% of americans. When you have 90% of americans being sheep, its hard for the other 10% who know whats going on to make progress into the direction we should be going.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I have a MS in computer science, and clearly identity theft would become more traceable in this new context. That is a very silly objection to RFID. But, AGAIN, how exactly are the "sheep" going to be more screwed than they are now? ONE SPECIFIC SCENARIO PLEASE.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM

People don't like to admit it, but there is a point where you must make a sacrifice for personal freedom. The big bad "Robocop" LEO would like you to buy into a notion of a crime less society, but it comes at a cost that is just unacceptable. If one is to truly value freedom as a concept, individuality as a right, and liberty as a reality then they must understand that risk is a part of the package. Risk may be a higher rate of crime, less collective security, dirtier streets, whatever, but risk is a part of life and while I think we can combat these things without infringing on individuality in such a drastic way, at the end of the day risk will always be there right beside independence.

If you really wish to sacrifice personal freedom for a crimeless dystopia go ahead and buy land, form a collective and have your cute little Stepford-land, but keep if voluntary and leave me the hell out.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i always wondered what happened to people after they posted "pokerstars is rigged" threads in the internet gambling forum - they come to the politics forum to continue their wild conspiracy theories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we're all crazy. Ales Jones predicting 9/11 event involving planes and WTC . FWIW I am in the camp that people in power let it happen not that it was a direct inside job.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what happens when I read your information w/ my laptop rfid scanner (of which I already have), and reproduce my own chip w/ all your info on it? People who stay abreast of technology, like myself, probably will have little trouble with any of these scenarios, its the rest of you guys who don't care/don't understand the technology that wont know how to defeat it and will be screwed, and this is probably abou 90% of americans. When you have 90% of americans being sheep, its hard for the other 10% who know whats going on to make progress into the direction we should be going.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I have a MS in computer science, and clearly identity theft would become MORE traceable in this new context. That is a very silly objection to RFID.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it wont make it more traceable in the least, it will make it about 1000 times more ubiquitous, and low level of a crime. rather than digging around in trash, or hacking a companies database all you have to do is sit in a starbucks w/ a laptop. how can you even dispute this? do you understand the technology behind rfid chips?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM

I'm thinking abuse at the hands of those in control is the real worry.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also true, Im more scared of what happens when all this technology is in place, and people let someone with really bad intentions rise to power because they are so apathtic and halfway brainwashed about what is rigth and wrong over the course of the next 20 years.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I have a MS in computer science, and clearly identity theft would become MORE traceable in this new context. That is a very silly objection to RFID.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, it wont make it more traceable in the least, it will make it about 1000 times more ubiquitous, and low level of a crime. rather than digging around in trash, or hacking a companies database all you have to do is sit in a starbucks w/ a laptop. how can you even dispute this? do you understand the technology behind rfid chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Public key encryption with centralized key servers or w/e, who cares. If the government leverages a nationwide RFID program they'll think of something. But, AGAIN, how exactly are the "sheep" going to be more screwed than they are now? ONE SPECIFIC SCENARIO PLEASE.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you're so worried, I'm sure you can throw out a half-dozen or so reasonable scenarios where our lives actually get worse, right? On your mark...get set...GO! As specific as possible please.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Subfallen, here is one possible scenario that is completely real with the RFID system and our lovely Patriot Act.

Anti Bush rally is held. Government knows where it is being held. They are able to see exactly who is there via the RFID chip. said people are arrested after they leave and detained, without a lawyer, without charges filed, indefinitely.

This is a complete legit scenario.