Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Are relationships and marriage all the rage?

[ QUOTE ]
X,

It appears that this guy is using a close derivative of your avatar. Who had dibs and are you comfortable with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been using this one for months now so I have no clue so if I stole his then I am sorry and if he stole mine then he can keep using it. I know I didnt get this avatar from 2p2 so I highly doubt that I stole his. I am easy to get along with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Date #2 coming tonight. Will give another update tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 PM

Word of advice. Try not to get [censored] up on Crown tonight when you're on your date.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Word of advice. Try not to get [censored] up on Crown tonight when you're on your date.

[/ QUOTE ]

No drinking for me tonight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've recently come to another crossroads in my life where I have decided I am no longer going to be the guy who goes out and picks up women. I want to be the guy who finds the right girl and try and start a relationship. I have said this sort of thing before but now I am more serious than ever after my actions the other night.

[/ QUOTE ]

X-Factor,

Interesting post. I was thinking of doing a relationship one myself but yours is good so I'll add my 2 cents.

First, sometimes I think you set yourself up to be unhappy or bitter. If you want a real relationship, why chase after married women? If you say you weren't chasing after her, that you just wanted some booty, well ok I guess I believe that, but do you see what you did? You took a booty call and started to make it into a judgment call on women in general, and their moral character, and now you don't "trust" women. And that's sort of understandable. If I were to carry on an affair with a married guy who was lying and sneakin around his wife's back, I'd probably start to wonder about guys and conclude that ALL guys were capable of this behavior. And that would be my own damn fault cuz I would have done it to myself. So stop doing that to yourself.

I often doubt the whole marriage thing. It seems pretty pointless and wrought with difficulty and unmet expectations. Hell, in the past 2 years I've met so many unhappy married people that it's ridiculous. Men and women are bored or disgusted with their mates. Some are just flat out exhausted.

An entire life with one person? yikes. I'm very cynical about the entire thing. Relationships, on the other hand, are very sweet and definitely worth the trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me it all boils down to friendship in the long run and in the short run "love"...which is nothing more than evolution and chemistry, a biological trick for making babies and keeping the family together until the kids are able to make it on their own.

For a relationship to last beyond the waning of the chemical there has to be something more pragmatic to keep it together. One of the truest cliches is about being sure that your potential spouse is your best friend. Friendship means common values and mutual interests, and as long as those are maintained then a relationship has a fighting chance.

Children are the meaning of life.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One of the truest cliches is about being sure that your potential spouse is your best friend. Friendship means common values and mutual interests, and as long as those are maintained then a relationship has a fighting chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your spouse stay your best friend throughout the years? I've often wondered whether most married couples consider their spouse their "best friend".
Old 09-01-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Children are your personal definition of the meaning of life, which may not be applicable to anyone else, and may well be for a lot of people a self-justifying way to explain being too lazy to take a trip to the drugstore.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-01-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Children are your personal definition of the meaning of life, which may not be applicable to anyone else, and may well be for a lot of people a self-justifying way to explain being too lazy to take a trip to the drugstore.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is not "my personal" meaning of life, it is the evolutionary/biological meaning of life...the only one that counts.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One of the truest cliches is about being sure that your potential spouse is your best friend. Friendship means common values and mutual interests, and as long as those are maintained then a relationship has a fighting chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your spouse stay your best friend throughout the years? I've often wondered whether most married couples consider their spouse their "best friend".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...in most of the one's that last, no..in most of those that don't. There will be some that last for other reasons, religious and financial being the two big ones I would think. (after the child rearing years)
Old 09-01-2007, 04:14 PM

i suppose children are the meaning of life in the sense that they are the future, blah blah

[ QUOTE ]
To me it all boils down to friendship in the long run and in the short run "love"...which is nothing more than evolution and chemistry, a biological trick for making babies and keeping the family together until the kids are able to make it on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the opposite is true. friendship is more applicable in the short term, whereas love is what holds a relationship together when it is put to the test. i won't go so far as to say love is eternal, but it certainly could be.

i disagree completely about love being a "biological trick." sex and the pleasure it provides is the trick for making babies.