Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Purposely scratching in 8-ball?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking bar league pool, I'm talking bar drunk dumbasses around the table pool. You can take a defensive shot, but you better pretend you're really shooting at something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why playing this kinda bullshiit leads to horrid pool, usually by horrid players, and fights. I havent been that horrid in over 20 years. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play 8-ball without a signed contract, in advance, agreeing to every possible ruling.

I once had a guy tell me "You lose! You didn't call 'bank shot'!" when I made a simple, straight in shot on the 8. It was near the rail, about two diamonds away from the pocket. It made contact with that rail on its way in.

That was 20 years ago. I haven't played 8-ball since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Played a guy like that once, he also said that because when I called a shot, and made it that it didnt count, because I made his ball at the time...fking retard.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You play by the bar rules or don't play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen one time where a bar had rules on the wall, they were mainly to avoid masse shots, and not to gamble.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 AM

This is why I always ask if were playing ball in hand or the 'kitchen' line or whatever. My friends and I never play seriously and never play ball in hand, however, I play with some other people that play league and they play ball in hand. Its just best to know what rules you're playing before hand, never hurts to ask.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In bar pool, you won't get punished as badly for scratching, as the opponent has to hit from behind the spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

won't get punished as badly? it's actually a HUGE ADVANTAGE depending on the table situation

[/ QUOTE ]

? Its a huge advantage that you MUST hit it from behind the line and not from anywhere on the table that you would like. Which would also include behind the line but also all other posibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. He's saying it's a huge advantage for the person who scratched intentionally.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You play by the bar rules or don't play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, what are bar rules? Can you provide documentation for these rules? I know this term is used as a kind of default answer, but can you actually show me a list of bar rules? Does this apply to all bars, or can it change from bar to bar? Get my point yet...the term bar rules means somethign more along the lines of "whatever we decide to play". If you wish to refer to the real rules of pool in general you can find them here.

BCA Standardized Rules
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 AM

In every bar I've ever played (and I've played in a lot), the rules are the same as APA except:
There's no such thing as a table scratch. The only scratch is if you sink the cue ball. In that case, your opponent has to shoot from the kitchen.
There's no rule saying you have to hit a cushion if you miss your shot.

I've been in bars that say you lose if you don't touch the 8 first on your 8 shot.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened was this: I had 2-3 balls left with no shot. My opponent had just the 8-ball left, but it was close to the rail on the other side of the table. Well within the mark where you cannot pass for ball in hand. So essentially, his only shot was shoot across the table (longways), hit one or more rails and pocket the 8-ball.

Now I've always played where you can purposely scratch... it's a defense move. Especially if you have no shot or an impossible shot leaving you in a bad position. He said it was illegal. Based on the additional information, what is your ruling? Legal or illegal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is legal, but given the circumstances you describe why wouldn't you play a safety shot instead?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IF you don't get ball in hand, as is the case in most bars I've played in, THEN scratching on purpose is a dick move and likely to get you punched. At least if in the midwest where people get really feisty about bar pool.

[/ QUOTE ]

if most bars you've played in are anywhere near st.louis, then i don't know what to tell ya. everybody there plays ball in hand, bank the 8, last pocket, or opposite last pocket.

Barron
Old 08-27-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In every bar I've ever played (and I've played in a lot), the rules are the same as APA except:
There's no such thing as a table scratch. The only scratch is if you sink the cue ball. In that case, your opponent has to shoot from the kitchen.
There's no rule saying you have to hit a cushion if you miss your shot.

I've been in bars that say you lose if you don't touch the 8 first on your 8 shot .

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my point, if you and I are playing a game, I will ask up front what rules do you wanna play. I usually hear "Straight in no slop" I then have to ask them again about fouls and such because they have no idea what they are talking about. If a guy is being kind of a dick, I will ask him what "straight in" means...that will make them babble for a few seconds untill i tell them that what they really mean is call your shot. I also will usually try and make it easier for them and say lets just play ball-N-pocket. Which just means to call your ball in what pocket, and who cares how it gets there. This is usually what will put them at ease...then I take there cash [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]