Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Sequels make us forget how great the originals were

It's a plot of course.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 PM

What I'm saying is that the whole movie is much more of an introduction than a complete story. What really happens in the movie? Neo finds out who he is. The two sequels are much more plot-driven.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:32 PM

Really? I would say it's the opposite: The Matrix is a complete story, and that's precisely why the two sequels are not good, they are 4 hours of epilogue.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Rocky was a movie about the American dream, written in the bicentennial year. Rocky wasn't meant to be an undiscovered great like the rest of the movies would have you believe. He was supposed to be a aging club boxer, a slow bruiser, somewhat talented but who had never lived up to what limited potential he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing with the Rambo series. Everyone thinks of a juiced up Rambo flipping and running around mowing down 80 baddies without being hit by a myriad of bullets.

But the first in the series, First Blood, was more drama than action, about a troubled Vietnam vet returning to the states and having difficulties fitting back in, while shedding light on the way in which war heros were treated after the war.

And he was supposed to die at the end, as he does in the book, but it was change, and all hell broke loose in the sequels.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 AM

Madmax - Beyond Thunderdome

The Original was such a classic and Road Warrior Stands on its own let alone as a sequel. Thunderdome with Children's Story time , is just lame
Old 08-29-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Madmax - Beyond Thunderdome

The Original was such a classic and Road Warrior Stands on its own let alone as a sequel. Thunderdome with Children's Story time , is just lame

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I don't know. Thunderdome is a great concept.

I thought all the stuff from start to him being cast into the desert, and the bit where he gets back to Bartertown onwards was pretty darn good. MM2 was by far the best film though.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 AM

I just think they went to far into Tomorrow-morrow land with it.
I mean the Orignal (Aussie version btw) was pretty awesome and Road Warrior was of course SICK it just seems like they tried to hard and sort of let you down considering its company.

Here is another Series I don't know if it was mentioned . Batman
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 AM

Yeah Godfather II was such a piece of [censored]. Can't believe I wasted my time on that one.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 AM

People have already mentioned it, but The Evil Dead movies fall into this category. I am surprised how many people I talk to that loved Army of Darkness but dont feel the same way about Evil Dead (or worse, they didn't know Army of Darkness is a sequel). I think Evil Dead is BETTER than Army of Darkness (though they don't compare well, obviously).

I shall have to try and think of something original, but for the moment, all I can say is that the answer to this is NOT From Dusk til Dawn movies. <3
Old 08-29-2007, 01:23 PM

Evil Dead strikes me as one of those movies where the sequels were not really sequels; each movie was so different from the other. I liked all 3 movies, but there was zero effort to maintain continuity outside of the recurring lead and the "deadite" theme. So I don't count any of the trilogy as failing, really. They just succeed on different terms in their own way. FWIW I thought the first one was by far superior to the others, especially when it came to pacing.

On Mad Max, the original had some awesome parts, especially the end. But it seemed not that great in many parts. I don't think it's particularly a stand-out especially now that time has passed. The second one seems the stand-out of the series by far.