Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: What would you do if you didn\'t need money?

I would get my PhD in math, read as much as I could, and I would use my time and insight to write - on everything from philosophy to important social issues. In fact, I think a person in such a position could make for a GOOD politician, somebody to really better the world, not that I know I would do that.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 PM

endow my own professorship somewhere, so i could be an academic without the pressure and teach (hopefully) smart kids stuff.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 PM

I would become a professional student. I love learning and I would go to the best schools in the fields I was interested in for the rest of my life. I would go to Insead for a few years in France for a business degree. I would then move to Cambridge and study Astronomy. Next off to live in Ithaca for a couple years of Arcaeology. After that, off to Hawaii for some Applied Linguistics courses. The point is we all need goals and can't sit around ad do nothing forever. I know I am most happy when i am working towards a goal and I love learning new things. Of course I would mix in a couple vacations a year so I get well rounded in travel and the world, but this truly is my dream.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 PM

I'd travel, write, play in a bunch of [censored] bands, and enjoy the hell out of life.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 PM

I would try to get to travel around the world, and see all different kinds of sporting events.. along the way trying to meet as many people as i could, stopping and settling down somewhere if it ever felt like a good idea.

As far as a business idea that i would be interested in, either startup a bakery, or some sort of video game development studio.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:00 PM

I have no idea, honest. I don't have a 'few hundred thousand' in my roll, much less a couple mil in the bank, so I guess I can't say 'I can do whatever I want', but it's close.

At this point, I almost feel unqualified to have that much (gazillion bucks, not what I currently have). I think I'd have to ease myself into the lifestyle gradually, and find out for myself what's 'worth it' and what's just unjustifiably blowing money that could have been allocated to better causes. I mean I have a pretty selfish personality, but I'd like to think that even I have a limit somewhere.

Wow. This thread made me realize just how much my life is centered around making money right now - at least the small part that I try to pass off as useful and fulfilling. Yeah, my answer has to be that I really, really don't know. Guess that's why you started the thread in the first place?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 PM

Re: travel: I think that's way overrated as something to do all the time. I've done a fair bit of traveling, but not nearly enough to say that I've seen the world. However, while I used to fantasize about making a world trip someday, now that I can (or could if I was prepared to abandon my g/f) I just can't see myself enjoying it all that much.

I used to get a thrill out of the exotic and unusual, and almost enjoyed being in a different country just for its own sake. Unfortunately, that feeling has disappeared.

I guess that's the reason people call it 'vacation', or even 'sabbatical', but not 'life'. Most people could easily afford to live their whole lives as backpackers, worry-free and doing the minimum to get by. Hell, go learn to play guitar and sit on some busy square. Reality is, 'seeing the world', like anything, gets old.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:02 PM

Hmm.
I'd get a slightly bigger apartment in a more convenient location. The one I am in is kind of small and out of the way.

I'd work from 11 to 4 instead of from 10 to 5. I love my job, but I am pretty lazy.

I'd get a skull massage (those really good ones you get when you get your hair cut and they are shampooing your hair) after work every day.

Hmm.. I think that's about it. Not really into world travelling or meditation or world-changing philanthropy.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 PM

I would travel. Ski everywhere. Settle on a place with a nice back country and never take a lift ever again. If I ever get bored exploring I'll move on to the next place. In the summer I would play golf everyday.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 PM

Backpacking with Boris obv., then I'd do whatever struck me as interesting, which would change monthly, with a penchant for traveling and visiting people and doing things of interest to my kids.

Definitely would be involved in new businesses. Like Gates it's the score that counts, not the money. I'd probably hire two great patent lawyers and start a pharma and a separate mechanical engineering firm.

No major learning goals.

No major charity goals.

Would do some adventure travel but not as much as many. I like to travel and do new things, but I like home too.

I would never ever get up before 9AM. Ever.