Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Everybody should give away their organs upon death

The shortage could be solved if it was an 'opt out' policy rather than 'opt in'.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no supply bottleneck, except the one created by government

[/ QUOTE ]

This intrigues me, there are more people dying and willing to donate organs than there are people needing organs? No sarcasm intended I honestly didn't know this was the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly more people die every day than there are people who need organs. Thus the problem is motivating people to put themselves in the donor queue *and* creating the infratsructure to deliver the organs. The last two issues are what depresses supply relative to demand. By enabling a market, you bring supply and demand closer to equilibrium, which will result a cost reduction.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The shortage could be solved if it was an 'opt out' policy rather than 'opt in'.

[/ QUOTE ]
that would be so unethical.

how about an opt-in system where only those who wish to partcipate give organs but they also receive organs in prefernece to those who don't opt-in.

Obviously there also need to be a complete opt out option for the jews so they don't accidently get a needed organ even if no one else wants it.

chez
Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As I understand it, Jewish people believe that in order to get into heaven, all of one's body parts must remain intact. Therefore, anyone who donates organs must not only disbelieve this, but must assign an absolute probability of ZERO that this belief is correct, since the penalty for being wrong, eternal damnation, is infinitely greater than even the loss of life itself.

There must be many organ donors here. Are you all 100% sure that this Jewish belief is incorrect? 99.99999% sure won't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not even close to true.

Many non-Jews probably believe that the act of doing a deed as wonderful as donating organs would be more likely to sway the heaven/hell decision in favor of heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of "Jewish people", I should have said "Jewish doctrine". Then I'm pretty sure that this isn't far from true, though I'm no expert on Jewish doctrine.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM

My gf is a scrub in the er and one time I believe it was a mormon family the wife had some complications from pregnancy and the family was told she was going to die if they didn't do some type of blood transfusion. Well this apparently is against their religion (something to do with blood being dirty) and they refused and she died. Pretty sad...and it gets worse when it is the life of a kid whose parents make these kind of decisions.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My gf is a scrub in the er and one time I believe it was a mormon family the wife had some complications from pregnancy and the family was told she was going to die if they didn't do some type of blood transfusion. Well this apparently is against their religion (something to do with blood being dirty) and they refused and she died. Pretty sad...and it gets worse when it is the life of a kid whose parents make these kind of decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a Mormon family, either Christian Scientists or Jehovah's Witnesses, most likely.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 PM

ah thats right it was Jehovah's witnesses...thanks for the clarification...those are some crazy bastards...
Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ah thats right it was Jehovah's witnesses...thanks for the clarification...those are some crazy bastards...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Jehovah's Witnesses/Christian Scientists medical ethical questions are really interesting, since they blur the line between parenting, indoctrination and child abuse.

That being said, thats sort of the "old" debate and pretty much all JW's allow children to receive transfusions in emergencies. Not entirely sure what CSs do, or if there is an official position, but doctrinally, neither should really allow it.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 PM

If you are an atheist and a non-organ donor, you are contradicting yourself.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are an atheist and a non-organ donor, you are contradicting yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
no, lots of non-contractory reasons for an atheist not to be an organ donor.

what makes you think otherwise?

chez