Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Gus hansen and poker books

steam - please tell me you aren't seriously asking this question.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:08 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I haven't been in the ZOO for a really long time. I found the link to his statement.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:08 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

actually, I think the link is in MTT
Old 03-05-2006, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree and what you say makes a lot of sense.

Word is that Gus Hansen and Howard Lederer frequently talk about hands together and analyze them, often while working out. This was something somewhat recent (a few months ago) so it might not still be happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I saw an interview last year where Hansen says he does/did that w/ Lederer. Some people can probably get away w/o reading books by going through other routes more exhaustively (i.e. plenty of thinking away from the table, talking to other competent players and debating, plenty of experience, etc.).

Of course, studying good books adds to the list of helpful things to do.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:35 PM

It was also in general, nvg, forum-suggestions, SNG, aff-rb, int-bonuses and probably several other forums.

We literally must have had 50 threads on the topic in the various forums and the mods had to have discussions about what to do about all the different Zee threads...and the MTT forum had to make a rule about all Zee posts only going into one thread...which got broken over and over and over.

This gossip would have been pretty tough to miss....but, then again, who cares about gossip anyway?
Old 03-05-2006, 07:20 PM

I live at B&M, O/8 and here and rarely venture outside.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:36 AM

What makes you say he was being sarcastic--or that everyone's a fish somewhere. I could easily be wrong, but Barry Greenstein doesn't give the impression of being a fish in anybody's game, whereas many of the tournament tv superstars play a style that--if not radically adjusted to differing game conditions--would make them fish well before they reached the biggest cash games. 'Course, what do I know?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 AM

I've listened to that interview and a few things struck me.
Firstly Gus comes over as a very open, intelligent and rational guy. I also think he makes some good points about the way he has been playing and books.

He knows full well that some of the success he had initially was due to the shock factor and that is partly his point on books - that playing by the book at a high level doesn't necessarily work. He understands that games played at a high level are essentially about playing other people, not cards. If one has a strategy that upsets the other player and allows you to gain control then you can win. If you are predictable then you will get beated by the innovative players. I think he proved that well enough. He also admits that his tourney strategy needed modifying in cash games and that it need much work for internet games where he has only more recently started winning consistently. The guy is a champion game-player full stop.

Sounds like he has a point about some books being outdated and how the game is changing faster than it used to, making books out of date quicker.

One other thing struck me - that he knows all about odds and maths of the game. Surely he must have learned that from somewhere. I can't see him calculating the odds of various hands making it on his own. So if not books, then where has he got this info.

What did other people think about his mathematical reasoning behind playing his somewhat speculative hands?

Re: Hansen being a fish - he says that he lost a lot but also won a lot in the cash games and that now he's doing well.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: Hansen being a fish - he says that he lost a lot but also won a lot in the cash games and that now he's doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what every losing player says.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:15 AM

True but it's also what winning players say.

Do you have evidence that he's lying?