Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Does Bernie Williams End up in the Hall?

[ QUOTE ]
He's a better candidate than most of the borderline guys - Rice, Dawson, Murphy, etc. He's also better than Kirby Puckett.

[/ QUOTE ]

rice belongs in before williams.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, plz ban

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't enjoy the entertainment value that he brings to this forum? You should check out his Glavine rants in the Mets thread.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching him in the OF was about as pleasant as watching gay sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you actually enjoyed watching him play the outfield? wtf
Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's a better candidate than most of the borderline guys - Rice, Dawson, Murphy, etc. He's also better than Kirby Puckett.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim Rice doesn't even have a better peak than Bernie Williams. He was a slightly better hitter at a more hitter friendly position.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:16 PM

It is ridic that a guy that fast could steal such a small amount of bases. I remember when he first came up and he was the fastest baseball player I had ever seen when legging out a double, scoring from 2nd, etc.

Mr Non Clutch, imo, look at his WS numbers.

Still has a better shot than Posada.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim Rice doesn't even have a better peak than Bernie Williams. He was a slightly better hitter at a more hitter friendly position.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with bobo that i consider him an outfielder and dont give his hitting stats more credence just because he played centerfield
Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM

eagerly awaiting the thread discussing luis sojo's hall merits
Old 08-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Reading this thread is like watching a group of blind, illiterate people play Scrabble in a dark room with the tiles turned upside down.

Bernie is a well above average player with fairly reasonable numbers, probably overrated defensively, and shone brightly due to playing on a great offensive team. No one would rate him among the top players of his generation in any category. Due to the inconsistencies in eras and HoF voting, Williams is better than some who are in and worse than any number who are out, this much should be clear to anyone.

Gold Gloves aren't a great measure of HoF worthiness. Neither is reading Moneyball and claiming to be some amazingly knowledgeable baseball fan because you can recite idiocy about OPS.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM

rice has better numbers than williams. His hall of fame monitor, his grey ink, black ink, ops+ whatever you want to use.

I think Rice belongs in and it's a shame he is not. I think Bernie is borderline and should not go in until after Rice does.

BTW baseball-reference lists paul oneil as the most similar player to bernie williams so maybe that will be our next thread

to be honest, i am having trouble thinking of many centerfielders from his era better than bernie so i wouldnt cry if he got in
Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reading this thread is like watching a group of blind, illiterate people play Scrabble in a dark room with the tiles turned upside down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, that's what I could say about this post:

"Bernie is a well above average player with fairly reasonable numbers, probably overrated defensively, and shone brightly due to playing on a great offensive team. No one would rate him among the top players of his generation in any category. Due to the inconsistencies in eras and HoF voting, Williams is better than some who are in and worse than any number who are out, this much should be clear to anyone.

Gold Gloves aren't a great measure of HoF worthiness. Neither is reading Moneyball and claiming to be some amazingly knowledgeable baseball fan because you can recite idiocy about OPS."

Bernie Williams compares favorably to Jim Rice and is around the level of Richie Ashburn and Earle Combs. His statistics are very slightly helped by playing for a good team. However, because he didn't hit a ton of home runs, he has 'fairly reasonable' numbers - yeah that .342/.435/.536 season as a center fielder is 'fairly reasonable'.

anyone who doesn't understand positional scarcity around here is just being dense.