Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Beef jerky is so damn good, and good for you

Jerky is good for you, all of the crap/salt they put in it isn't. I really only buy/eat the whole foods jerky, it's as healthy as you are going to get...it's not cheap though, I think $6/package which is about 2 feedings. Despite being preservativefree/antibioticfree/organic meat it still has a nice chunk of salt in it.

Everyone in the thread talking about salt not being a big deal, um, lol? it's a big [censored] deal. I don't think there is a single individual on this board that doesn't OD on salt. It's in everything you eat. Is it as bad as HFCS, grains, sugar, etc? No. Is it still bad and would it be better for your body to cut it down? Yes.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM

Sugar and Salt a.k.a. White Death
Old 08-23-2007, 04:46 PM

My dad is 61 years old and had a major heart attack on New Year's Eve that could have easily killed him. His doctors have him watching his red meats and all that cholesterol stuff. What do they give him for sodium per day?

2000 mg. He's stopped using salt to season, he's gotten some potassium chloride stuff that tastes enough like salt to not make everything taste worse. If high blood pressure runs in your family, you should keep an eye on your sodium, for sure. Could we all stand to cut back a little bit? Sure. Can people who are physically active and in pretty good cardiovascular shape get by with a little more than 2k? I don't see why not.

If you're not eating tons of jerky a day, you should be fine and able to offset any negatives from the extra sodium by watching it in your other meals.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A few pounds of jerky? That sounds like a ridiculous amount, but then again, I don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 ounces a day is ~2lbs a week.

I've seen kids sit down and eat like a pound in a sitting. Seems semi-gross.

[/ QUOTE ]

A pound? Wow, what is that, like 40 bucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

i bought a smaller bag last night at the grocery store. i saw they had a one pound bag for $9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I see it more like a dollar an ounce if not more.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:58 PM

This is so far easier said than done that it's not the greatest take on things. There is a ridiculous amount of sodium in regular old food, even stuff you wouldn't think is all that salty. A great many processed and canned foods are stuffed with it, and if you eat out, putting salt and butter in food are probably the best ways to be sure your customers will come back again.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Salt is bad b/c it can raise your blood pressure, but if you keep you blood pressure in check is salt still so bad? I think i eat a lot of salt, but my BP and bloodwork is superb so I don't worry about salt...should i be?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:02 PM

Do us a favor, hell everyone should...

1) pick any random day and record what you would normally eat.
2) Tally the salt content.
3) See if you come anywhere close to 2g.

If you eat out frequently (read: chipotle) don't even bother tallying your salt content, it's through the roof. Last time I tallied my burrito bowl at chipotle it came back with 3g. 3 GRAMS!!!

Off the top of my head, and I eat pretty clean, things that kill me everyday salt wise:

beef jerky, cottage cheese (it's sick to realize how much salt is in here), marinades.

I'm pretty sure I eat healthier than 99% of the population and it's difficult for me to keep a low salt diet.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Salt is bad b/c it can raise your blood pressure, but if you keep you blood pressure in check is salt still so bad? I think i eat a lot of salt, but my BP and bloodwork is superb so I don't worry about salt...should i be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Salt can make you retain water, leading to an appearance of being fatter. It has been thought for a long time that's all it did, and that your body would eventually dump the water if you cut back on your salt. I read a year or two ago, though, that it is now thought as the result of some further research that salt doesn't just make you gain water weight, but can actually cue your cells to store more fat. Worth thinking about either way.