Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Is this standard? (being banned from a private cardroom)

[ QUOTE ]
Private means that you are out on a whim if they want you out. The game might be a major social event for the regular players, and you might not fit in socially. It could be because you just don't fit in with the age group or the career status or the education level of the other players. It could be that you talk too much or too little or about the wrong topics. It could be that you come across as too outgoing or too withdrawn. Etc., etc. (If you don't fit in socially and are a big loser, however, you will be greeted with open arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are all totally missing the OP's point. Obviously management can invite or reject anyone they want; that's the definition of a private game and inherent in an illegal club. He's asking if it's standard. These smarmy comments don't address that at all.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Private means that you are out on a whim if they want you out. The game might be a major social event for the regular players, and you might not fit in socially. It could be because you just don't fit in with the age group or the career status or the education level of the other players. It could be that you talk too much or too little or about the wrong topics. It could be that you come across as too outgoing or too withdrawn. Etc., etc. (If you don't fit in socially and are a big loser, however, you will be greeted with open arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are all totally missing the OP's point. Obviously management can invite or reject anyone they want; that's the definition of a private game and inherent in an illegal club. He's asking if it's standard. These smarmy comments don't address that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Why would it be standard for a private room just to ban you for no reason whatsoever? It might be a dumb or petty reason, but they def had a reason... they don't have random 'ban at the door' switches.

I worked UG in Philly for a short time, and from time to time there'd be someone you'd ban. Stiffs were high on the list, but you could get a ban if someone you were associated with became a problem. In some cases regulars might think you were too nitty or something, there have been cases like that if the player was new enough and the regular is in good with the place.

Also, how did you come to start playing in this private game? It may be the type of place that isn't open to new players.

I guess my question is: how sure are you that you and your friend were actually welcome in the first place?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If this is all on the up and up, I think it has to do with the friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the description, the friend at least knows how to "give action" every so often. OP may not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possible. Except, if I read it right, the friend is banned too.

b
Old 08-17-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont' think the above quote was smarmy at all. I don't think they were made in an insulting way. It's just giving some ideas as to why someone might be barred but not definitively saying that it pertains to OP. Just an idea to look at.

When someone is asking if it's standard, imo, they're also asking for more elaboration than just a simple yes or no.

b
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 PM

meh i was looking for simple yes or no
or to maybe provide some more insightas to might I have not been allowed to play there anymore.
I was not looking for people to point out that the game is private and they can do whatever they want as I already know that.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how did you come to start playing in this private game? It may be the type of place that isn't open to new players.

I guess my question is: how sure are you that you and your friend were actually welcome in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw many new/novice players play in their freerolls, and people brought friends with them all the time .
Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 PM

They banned you for winning and in their eyes raping the weak players. If you send a regular weak player elsewhere because he is getting ass raped everytime you showup the games will die. Also if they have any whiff of undercover or somebody suggested it they will ban you. I have had this happen to me when guys didn't vouch for me. The guys would literally freeze up and pretend that it was a private home game that played 15/30 above a store???? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 PM

Seems to me a private room in NY can do just about whatever they want. If the room were to be "regulated" they'd have too many customers wearing blue and carrying guns and badges.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:50 PM

bounce or be bounced
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They banned you for winning and in their eyes raping the weak players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This brings up an interesting theoretical question. Could the games be so good that, every once in a while, it would be worthwhile to make a strongly -EV play and show it in order to give the impression that you're a donk?

And if so, how do you keep it from being obvious what you're doing?