Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (8/14) (5k PLH, 2k 7CS, 5k Headsup NL)

Jason Lester summed it up on Brenes: not mean-spirited, but still obnoxious. I think that's the overall consensus.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

- Did I just miss it or did they only show the one hand of the heads-up final? (And it wasn't even the final hand. Weird.)

[/ QUOTE ]

schreiber won in 2 matches, and they showed the final hand of each, so you likely missed the final one. nothing special, his opponent was drawing dead to runner runner (Kx v Q8 on AKx board) hit FD on turn but whiffed river. pot was so small it didnt matter either way tho, from the looks of the live updates, schreiber destroyed him though
Old 08-15-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

espn was full of complete horse [censored] on this. t rice should have gotten tons more air time. he made 2 final tables at wsop this summer as well as one of the bellagio event final tables. heck of a guy heck of a player. espn made a major error here.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the token complaint that gets rolled out every time someone or his friend doesn't get as much airtime as they think they "deserved." You gotta realize that the producers/editors have to make tough choices, so it's not relevant to them that Travis is the man (I agree), it matters what's the most concise storyline(s) they can deliver given the creative and time constraints. A lot of things have to work in your favor in order to get significant airtime on these broadcasts, and usually those things have nothing to do with poker accomplishments or talent or the interesting hands that took place.

PS: Calling it a "major error" is absurd, it's more like a "slight oversight."

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like you are giving ESPN too much credit. The 'concise' storylines, while obviously favoring to the 'recognizable' pros, should also favor the slam-dunk stories.

In Travis's case, there was the whole 'Ship it Holla' group of friends in the audience. They literally took up 1/3 of the total audience. They were screaming and cheering for him every time he called, raised, or folded. While a lot of people might find it obnoxious, it is exactly the sort of thing ESPN needs to focus on (in my opinion.)

If they had paid a bit more attention, they would have gotten a story that was way over-the-top than all the stuff they did on Dutch Boyd and 'The Crew' that seemed to go over well with viewers.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jason Lester summed it up on Brenes: not mean-spirited, but still obnoxious. I think that's the overall consensus.

[/ QUOTE ]

During that all in hand when Lester sucked out on the river, he looked like he was going to explode cause the Chark was going crazy. He got visibly red in the face and then sucked out and felt better.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 AM

I don't say this to be mean, but nobody beyond 2p2ers and his friends and family want to see Travis Rice. Yes, he's a good story, and if ESPN was trying to cover this from a journalism perspective they should, but this is pure entertainment, and he's not a big enough name to warrent coverage over those other folks.

Humberto's so [censored] painful to watch.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cunningham: Qs7s
Lisandro: AKo

Turn board: spade, spade, club, club.

River: spade.

Cunningham checks and Lisandro checks behind.

Does anyone think Cunningham should have bet?
Lisandro isn't an amateur. He's not going to
bet into a possible flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not going to call a bet with a possible flush out there, either. The only way Cunningham makes any more money is if he checks and Lisandro bluffs the river, which he's not gonna do if he thinks a flush draw is part of AC's range.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Lisandro is always folding, then Cunningham should always bet when he's not drawing to the flush.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I hate check/raise on the river. It just kills
the action. Change the rules. No check/raise
on the river. Last aggressor acts first on the
river.
On this hand Lisandro would act first on the
river. He would check and Cunningham would bet.
More action. More decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is moronic.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Cunningham gets to act second, he would always bet the flush and often bluff the flush. This would create more interesting dynamics. Lisandro wont have a automatic fold.
The viewers would get to watch a poker strategy decision.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In Travis's case, there was the whole 'Ship it Holla' group of friends in the audience. They literally took up 1/3 of the total audience. They were screaming and cheering for him every time he called, raised, or folded. While a lot of people might find it obnoxious, it is exactly the sort of thing ESPN needs to focus on (in my opinion.)

[/ QUOTE ]

There was already one high-profile obnoxious attention whore to focus on at the table. I'm sure they didn't care about 50 more of them sitting at the rail.

(Besides, neither of these things are what ESPN needs to focus on. They need to focus on showing actual poker hands.)
Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't say this to be mean, but nobody beyond 2p2ers and his friends and family want to see Travis Rice. Yes, he's a good story, and if ESPN was trying to cover this from a journalism perspective they should, but this is pure entertainment, and he's not a big enough name to warrent coverage over those other folks.

Humberto's so [censored] painful to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, it should also be a priority of ESPN to create new faces and names? Not saying that it has to be Travis in this case, but from what I have seen this year they have been harping on the same old.

Like Humberto, how many years can they devote segments to his annoying antics and shark behavior?

This entire season seemed to be pretty devoid of ESPN trying to really cultivate new poker personalities like they have done in the past.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There was already one high-profile obnoxious attention whore to focus on at the table. I'm sure they didn't care about 50 more of them sitting at the rail.

(Besides, neither of these things are what ESPN needs to focus on. They need to focus on showing actual poker hands.)

[/ QUOTE ]

nh, gg
Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!! QFMFT!! ESPN should totally focus more on obnoxious railbirds!! Give the public what they want!!! Show us more douchiness!