Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Sonics are as good as gone?

KBZ - oh you know I missed this in the OP, quote from McClendon:

[ QUOTE ]
Aubrey McClendon, co-owner of the Seattle SuperSonics, told Oklahoma City's Journal Record his ownership group would like to move the team to his native Oklahoma City, even if it makes the Sonics less profitable.

"We didn't buy the team to keep it in Seattle; we hoped to come here," he said. "We know it's a little more difficult financially here in Oklahoma City, but we think it's great for the community and if we could break even we'd be thrilled."

[/ QUOTE ]

So yeah, just wants to help out OKC and is willing to gamble. Knows he's kind of putting himself behind the 8-ball with this move.

Question - how does League approval work for this kind of franchise move? I have no clue, and hope Stern / other owners can block it.

-Al
Old 08-13-2007, 03:02 PM

suzzer,

Maybe KC can save the Grizzlies when they fold on Memphis.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Kansas City is one of the best sports towns in the country (Chiefs sold out since 89 or something), and they are building a brand new arena precisely to lure teams like this. Is there any talk of the Sonics coming to KC?

[/ QUOTE ]

None that I know of. It's one of those towns (with Louisville) that get talked about when an NBA team looks like it could be moving, but Sonics ownership looks pretty set on OKC.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kansas City is one of the best sports towns in the country (Chiefs sold out since 89 or something), and they are building a brand new arena precisely to lure teams like this. Is there any talk of the Sonics coming to KC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like no. There is talk of moving an NHL franchise to KC - if the NBA doesn't move in, I suspect some team in the NHL will play in KC by 2010-11.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 PM

Based on reading about Hornets move to New Orleans it seems:

[ QUOTE ]
Once the seven-man relocation committee issues its recommendation, a minimum of seven days must pass before the 29 teams can vote on the move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm - my guess is that the NBA relocation committee has not even looked at the possibility of approving this move... and McClendon is just spouting off as a minority owner. Douchebag. It's selfish, I think pretty clearly not in the best interests of the League - perhaps he's not aware of how huge it is to move a franchise like this (especially to a likely less profitable market).

I bet Stern is really pissed right now.

-Al
Old 08-13-2007, 03:44 PM

I imagine David Stern making a face like your niece is in your avatr
Old 08-13-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think OKC can support an NBA team long term with the current financial model. They will sell out for a year or two, but eventually the ridiculous NBA ticket prices will start to chase people away.

Median incomes (from Wikipedia, FWIW)- Seattle $45,736, OKC $34,947. That doesn't include all the billionaires and multimillionaires living on Mercer Island, and on the Eastside. I am guessing there is a LOT more money in the greater Seattle area than in the OKC metro region.

I will be LMAO when these [censored] have their hands out for public assistance in OKC in 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seattle is the #12 market in the US. OKC is #45. The Seattle DMA has 4x the population at a 30% higher household income.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM

Surprised nobody has even mentioned Vegas yet. I'm moving there in about a week, so I'd love to be able to go see Durant play in person.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think OKC can support an NBA team long term with the current financial model. They will sell out for a year or two, but eventually the ridiculous NBA ticket prices will start to chase people away.

Median incomes (from Wikipedia, FWIW)- Seattle $45,736, OKC $34,947. That doesn't include all the billionaires and multimillionaires living on Mercer Island, and on the Eastside. I am guessing there is a LOT more money in the greater Seattle area than in the OKC metro region.

I will be LMAO when these [censored] have their hands out for public assistance in OKC in 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seattle is the #12 market in the US. OKC is #45. The Seattle DMA has 4x the population at a 30% higher household income.

[/ QUOTE ]

Green Bay has a football team and Los Angeles does not.

There are mitigating factors. If Seattle doesn't build them a new arena, there can certainly be a case for moving. I don't know enough about the specifics of the NBA, but moving to a worse market can sometimes be more profitable in the long run.

Assani - I think the Donaghy scandal has killed any chance of the NBA in Vegas for a few years. I'm sure poker pros out there are upset.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surprised nobody has even mentioned Vegas yet. I'm moving there in about a week, so I'd love to be able to go see Durant play in person.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sterninator will not allow such moral problems to touch the NBA. Letting the players dress in "urban wear" is also not something he likes.