Indian 10 6.33%
Scottish Braveheart Dude 19 12.03%
Soldier Fighting Evil Forces 24 15.19%
Other (Specify) 14 8.86%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Share your tricks for playing as a single

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I was just really blown away. I've never had a guy say he wanted to play with us, it's always been a course imposing it. They told him he could go forward, and he said "eh, I don't really wanna play alone." I guess I should have said "guess what, we do." I just don't know if you don't want to play alone, why you go by yourself to a course that just reopened and is in a remote area. It was unexpected and awkward and tough to tell someone "I don't want you to play with us." We went out to the lot to load up our carts and change shoes. We sat in the lot awhile complaining about the situation, and sat out for a while. We weren't hiding, but weren't racing to get back to the 1 tee. He eventually took the hint and teed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling him that you want to play a family round or whatever. There is something wrong (and it's bigger than golf) if you think the best response is to be as passive aggressive as possible and hang out in the parking lot until he tees off.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I was just really blown away. I've never had a guy say he wanted to play with us, it's always been a course imposing it. They told him he could go forward, and he said "eh, I don't really wanna play alone." I guess I should have said "guess what, we do." I just don't know if you don't want to play alone, why you go by yourself to a course that just reopened and is in a remote area. It was unexpected and awkward and tough to tell someone "I don't want you to play with us." We went out to the lot to load up our carts and change shoes. We sat in the lot awhile complaining about the situation, and sat out for a while. We weren't hiding, but weren't racing to get back to the 1 tee. He eventually took the hint and teed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling him that you want to play a family round or whatever. There is something wrong (and it's bigger than golf) if you think the best response is to be as passive aggressive as possible and hang out in the parking lot until he tees off.

[/ QUOTE ]

to be totally fair that wasn't the plan. we were just taking a lot of time, because we were disappointed and frustrated and unsure of how to respond. It's not easy to reject someone to their face especially in an unusual situation.

not saying it was the best response, just clarifying that it was never the plan to just wait him out, but that's what ultimately happened.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not saying it was the best response, just clarifying that it was never the plan to just wait him out, but that's what ultimately happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the other replies that someone from your family should have approached him and politely explained your wish to play by yourselves, letting him know it's nothing against him personally. It's hardly the most uncomfortable social situation ever. I usually make a joke like "Trust me, you don't want to play with us, you're going to spend half your round in the woods looking for my tee shots."

Then, if the guy still seemed affable enough, I'd probably invite him to join us. What, it's not a family outing if there's one other guy with you? But then, the vast majority of players I've been grouped with have been good people (including a hot girl about 8-9 years ago that I later f**cked through her panties, so ever since then...).
Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 AM

There's a reason golf is called a "gentlemans sport." Some people need to remember that.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason golf is called a "gentlemans sport." Some people need to remember that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This + your avatar and name = gold
Old 08-15-2007, 05:09 AM

Funnily, just last week I turned up at the local muni just after work as a two ball, there was a single guy on the first and the course was busy. He'd never played there before and he asked where he was headed. I offered to play up as a 3-ball, he had the clubs, had all the gear, he'll be decent enough.

Jeeezuz [censored] keeerist, what a total duffer, 4 putted almost half the holes, his stock shot was hitting his driver about 50 yards right, which on a reasonably tree lined course didn't make for a fun round.

I spent most of the evning apologising to my partner for inviting the guy as he "looked like a golfer".

I'll never do it again.

On the other side, many years ago I was playing with a friend in his club medal at his local muni, but we didn't have a time and often there could be a wait for a tee time even on a midweek afternoon. Luckily there were two faces that we knew were from his club teeing off the medals, we approached them to make a fourball. After 10 seconds of whisper - whisper - whisper - whisper, we got "sorry, we're playign a match". Yes of course on medal day, and it took you 10 seconds to think of a reason to tell us to piss off. Wankers.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But then, the vast majority of players I've been grouped with have been good people (including a hot girl about 8-9 years ago that I later f**cked through her panties, so ever since then...).

[/ QUOTE ]

please start a thread about this thx