Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Ribbit\'s Edits

[ QUOTE ]
And you still honestly maintain that you don't care what people think about you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what people think about me.
Do you care about what I should care about?
What a loser you are. Bwahahahaha.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Hope I'm not re-opening a can of worms, but I'd actually like to hijack this with a substantive question, mainly for Rempel, since his experiences brought it up for me, but also for Ribbo or anyone else who cares to anwer:

What do you consider an adequate 2/4 BR? And what do you consider over-rolled?

If it's any consolation, I also lost a bunch at 2/4, too, before realizing it was time to move back down and consolidate--but I do have the intention of getting back there when I feel like it's time ...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM

It depends on your SD. SInce 1/2 on most sites is full of passive call stations, my SD is relatively low, about 60bb/100. At 2/4, especially on party, even the fish are very aggro so my sd goes way up to like 105.

Personally I think the minimum BR for 2/4 for me is about 25K to have a ROR of less than 1%, but I would like to have 32-40k before I make it my main game. I pretty commonly have daily 6-8 BI swings (down 3, up 5, etc) at 1/2 and 2/4 is a worse. Lots of people I know have taken shots at 8K, 10K, etc but almost every single time I have done this I have run incredibly terrible. I have a history of very bad luck when taking shots. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2007, 09:43 PM

Yeah, I was underrolled, really when I tried moving up, lost a full stack vs. Darwin when his middle set quadded on my top set (admittedly, I was a little over-anxious to beat him in a big pot), then tilted somewhat (don't really think boneheaded tilt, but got over-aggro on some draws that really didn't have enough outs and of course also never hit).

On taking shots, I think you can probably do it if you are serious about having the discipline to move back down immediately after losing even 2 buy-ins.

I also think my game is probably less swingy than yours, but the 2/4 on Stars starts to get into the "cleverly aggro" category, and it was hard (for me anyway) to find an effective balance. I almost think you have to be willing to play at least a somewhat swingy game to stay afloat there--waiting for top set or 13-nut-outers certainly doesn't seem to cut it at all.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:53 PM

2/4 on Stars is easy, as is 5/10, so long as you can be a little tricky ;-) Doesn't have to be much though.
http://www.pokerhand.org/?1348954

If it makes you feel better, I beat up Darwin for ya [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 PM

actually, it does. You can't imagine how aggravated I was when he hit his blasted 1-outer after flop all-in.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 PM

nicely done with the AA, by the way.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I think the minimum BR for 2/4 for me is about 25K to have a ROR of less than 1%, but I would like to have 32-40k before I make it my main game. I pretty commonly have daily 6-8 BI swings (down 3, up 5, etc) at 1/2 and 2/4 is a worse. Lots of people I know have taken shots at 8K, 10K, etc but almost every single time I have done this I have run incredibly terrible. I have a history of very bad luck when taking shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Those are about the numbers I'd use to be comfortable at 5/10, not 2/4. I can't imagine not being comfortable in any game I was beating if I had 60 BI, unless people were literally trying to get every hand all-in preflop. Is it just that it's a harder game for you to beat solidly and therefore the marginal increase in money earned isn't worth the headaches?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:49 AM

Massive variance for his style of play: 105 ptBB/100 hands. So he need 2 to 2.5 times the usual roll.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 AM

really? I remember this came up before and you told me increasing your SD does not massively increase your bankroll requirement (unlike decreasing your winrate). My SD is something like 70ptBB/100 and I don't think this is particularly high-variance, but I would be happy with 60BI for any game I thought I had a noticeable edge in.