Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: live 3/6 how much of a hand do i have here?

[ QUOTE ]

sorry hip but you can't get away with your buddy ILP's dickish tone because your posts aren't nearly as insightful as his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not very often that I get attacked and complimented in the same sentence. Im glad you enjoy some of my posts Jba. About the dickish tone: I'll try to work on that but its not easy for me. I know I have some good days where Im perfectly polite and diplomatic, but other days I just cant help myself. Some days I wake up and say "You know what? This would be a great day to be an arrogant [censored]."

My parents, close friends, and girlfriend have all remarked about my dickish tone. Ironically, Thehip41 has never called me out on it. Thats probably cuz he's a bigger dick than me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Since I have now infiltrated this thread I guess I feel obligated to comment on this hand. As others have mentioned preflop is a fold. All the reasons why its a fold have been discussed. The initial flop play is very intersting becuz there are alot of countervailing forces at work here.

Reasons supporting a flop check/raise:

1) An 835r flop is an excellent flop to make a play for the pot since this board is likely to miss the PFR's range

2) This guy may be the type to release Ace high on the turn. Hes trying to play well, and live players arent as showdown happy with ace high even in steal situations.

Reasons to check/fold:

1) I know this board doesnt correlate with the PFR's range but his range may be tight enough that he'll have an overpair too often to make a flop check/raise on nothing profitable

2) This is 3-6, he may not know how to fold ace high in this spot.

I think in order for me to figure out which line is best on the flop, I would actually have to be at the table and have somekind of general feel for my opponents play. That way I would be able to more accurately judge what this guy's range is in this spot and how he will play ace high if I check/raise. A proper analysis of those two variables should lead to some pretty accurate conclusions on which flop line is best between C/F and C/R. I will say this much, there are several opponents I play with, live and online, whom I will check/raise this very flop against with nothing quite frequently.

I remember Mason Malmuth writing in one of his essay books how one of the mistakes that players trying to play well somtimes make is bluffing the tight/passive player too often. The problem with this strategy, Mason states, is that the tight/passive player, becuz of his very nature, will have a hand too often that cant fold. Mason was speaking more generally of course, so this idea may or may not apply to this specific situation. But we can conclude one thing for sure, this flop check/raise will work alot better against a tag than a tight/passive.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: live 3/6 how much of a hand do i have here?

RudeBoyOi,

I dig your posting style. I hope you stick around SSSH.