Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Who\'s idea was it to hold a major in August in Oklahoma???

[ QUOTE ]
I played a round of 9 last week where it was in the low 90s, and pretty humid. My biggest problem was keeping a grip on the shaft, because I was so sweaty. Even my glove was perspiring. Do these guys have several gloves for a round?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most probably do, I see guys all the time at courses around here during the summer with 4 or 5 gloves strapped to the shaft of the front of the cart drying them as they ride.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BO, you are talking nonsense. For a start you will hear just about every European comment on it. You think Monty will be fine in this weather?

[/ QUOTE ]

The PTI guys just interviewed Peter Kostis from Southern Hills. First question was about the hot conditions. Kostis succinctly stated that the players would be unaffected by the heat but the golf course was what he was worried about.

Those thoughts sound sorta familiar.....

In regards to the gloves, every week a tour player will have 6-12 new gloves in his bag.

BO
Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BO, you are talking nonsense. For a start you will hear just about every European comment on it. You think Monty will be fine in this weather?

[/ QUOTE ]

The PTI guys just interviewed Peter Kostis from Southern Hills. First question was about the hot conditions. Kostis succinctly stated that the players would be unaffected by the heat but the golf course was what he was worried about.

Those thoughts sound sorta familiar.....

[/ QUOTE ].......to you yes, but then that's just a typical blinkered American view. After all you guys never complain about the weather conditions at The Open every year it's not blazing hot, oh wait................ [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Someone told me that the National Weather Service put out a heat advisory for Tulsa from Monday to Sunday at 6:00pm. I thought that was funny that they covered the exact time that the PGA was in town.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A high of 100 degrees with dew points in the 70s is not extreme heat!? What planet do you live on?

Ya, I thought his comment was pretty nuts, this is the hottest and stickiest it has been in the midwest in a long time. It will be a factor, enough so that meteorologists are reccomending nto to go out for too long this week here in st. louis. 115 heat or something like that here in stl.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, you gotta remember, I played in this kind of heat constantly for 15 years through college and pro golf carrying my own bag most of the time. I never had a day where the heat got the best of me or affected my play in any way. This includes temperatures of close to 110.

Sure it's hot, no question there. But it's not going to effect the players at the PGA one iota on the course. Therefore, I don't consider it extreme heat, at least for the golfers. For the elderly and/or general public with little or no A/C it's a totally different story. But as far as this golf discussion goes, this is not extreme heat.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw this thread...and these comments are ridiculous. The heat will affect the players and it will affect the players out of shape (and older) the most. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

I too played junior and college golf playing in this heat. I remember once playing 18 one day and finding out it was 107 when I got in, and 127 heat index. That was 20 years ago. I'd die now getting my bag out of my car.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These guys are professionals.
They've been doing this long enough to know to stay hydrated.

It will keep bad backs looser!
There will be comments from players, only because it'll be a 'hot' topic, and they'll be asked a bunch of questions on it.

But for the vast majority, it's just one more thing to prepare for each day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but it is an impact and impacts different people differently. No doubt that heavier and older people are affected the most, as well as some of the Europeans who don't play in this weather regularly. Anyone see Fasth stand in front of that water spraying fan for five minutes yesterday? Think the heat didn't affect him blowing up to a 79 today?

Some might even say that the heat affects some men's ability to check his scorecard adequately. :-)
Old 08-11-2007, 10:46 PM

Daly is in his 40's and bad overweight...
I'd bet money Boo had a 6 pack with his dinner last night...
Darren Clarke is 40ish and overweight...(66)

I'm not disagreeing that fitter players have an advantage, just that it isn't usually a deciding factor.
All of these guys have played tons of rounds in extreme heat.
They can handle it.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just saw this thread...and these comments are ridiculous. The heat will affect the players and it will affect the players out of shape (and older) the most. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

I too played junior and college golf playing in this heat. I remember once playing 18 one day and finding out it was 107 when I got in, and 127 heat index. That was 20 years ago. I'd die now getting my bag out of my car.

[/ QUOTE ]
And perhaps that's a reason why you never made it any farther. JTrout probably said it better and more PC than I can. But I so love it when the ignorant disparage the remarks of those who have been there.

Did anybody quit today? Did anybody blame their poor play on the heat? Yeah, I'm real ludicrous.

UNDERSTAND THIS PEOPLE. THE HEAT IS NOT GOING TO BE ANY FACTOR AT ALL IN THE TOURNAMENT.

BO
Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 PM

I'd say the guys who are most affected by the heat are the ones who like to practice the most in between rounds.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And perhaps that's a reason why you never made it any farther. JTrout probably said it better and more PC than I can. But I so love it when the ignorant disparage the remarks of those who have been there.

Did anybody quit today? Did anybody blame their poor play on the heat? Yeah, I'm real ludicrous.

UNDERSTAND THIS PEOPLE. THE HEAT IS NOT GOING TO BE ANY FACTOR AT ALL IN THE TOURNAMENT.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, comments like that are ridiculous. Fitter golfers will handle the heat better. You use Daly as an example, but Daly shot 73-73 the last two days. How do you know the heat hasn't worn him down? I'm far from ignorant and have played quite a bit of tournament golf. It is a factor. How much it is depends on the player.