Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$1,000 37 16.97%
$2,000 41 18.81%
$3,000 24 11.01%
$4,000 13 5.96%
$5,000 48 22.02%
$7,000 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

[ QUOTE ]
So what's the big deal about Exodus?

[/ QUOTE ]

ten commandments for one. you like private property? well that's the foundation of private property, the legal concept.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a long tradition in Christianity that God reveals Himself in two ways: His Word and His creation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah! You must at least agree that if god exists it is far from benevolent. Or are you suppose to deny/ignore what really happens in its supposed creation?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...on biblical principles which were written into the constitution, such as gold and silver coin, just weights and balances, for currency. ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that type of thinking stems ONLY from the Bible.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So what's the big deal about Exodus?

[/ QUOTE ]

ten commandments for one. you like private property? well that's the foundation of private property, the legal concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other cultures developed the concept independently. And what's so great about it anyway? In fact, I'd argue Jesus himself taught against "liking private property".
Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 AM

I don't doubt that man would have questioned his own existence and come up with a supreme being of some sort (see any of the Greek gods, Roman gods, tribal gods, etc.), but the specific God of Abraham comes directly from the bible, no?

<font color="blue">here is much that can be learned about Him from genuine science and observation of nature. </font>

One thing about you NR, is that you won't shy away from even the most logical contentions. Of course, I'm gonna call you on this one... Name me one thing that man has learned about God, through science and the observation of nature? That He can't be proved to not exist, isn't a learned thing.

<font color="blue"> I was just being specific. Substitute the Bible for exodus. </font>

Right. Nothing you believe about God and your religion has merit without the bible. Ok, I know you won't like the word merit, so substitute evidence. There would be zero evidence for anything you believe about God and your religion if it weren't for the bible.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I genuinely want to pursue truth. I really want to know if anyone has anything significant against what I believe. I want others to know I have that attitude toward what I believe. I'm not kidding. I think what the Bible says is true and what God says is real. And if it isn't, I want to know it, contrary to popular belief, because I'm not following Christ because my mother told me to - I think I'm following Him because He's real, His Word is true, and His promises will be fulfilled.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this serious? Doesn't it seems more likely you are following Him because you want it to be true and/or refuse to look at the evidence critically? Haven't you admitted before there is no evidence that will shake your faith? If so, seems like you are engaging in disingenuous truth-seeking.

The lack of evidence re: the Exodus should set a fair-minded person on the path that the Bible is not an entirely true account of anything.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I genuinely want to pursue truth. I really want to know if anyone has anything significant against what I believe. I want others to know I have that attitude toward what I believe. I'm not kidding. I think what the Bible says is true and what God says is real. And if it isn't, I want to know it, contrary to popular belief, because I'm not following Christ because my mother told me to - I think I'm following Him because He's real, His Word is true, and His promises will be fulfilled.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this serious? Doesn't it seems more likely you are following Him because you want it to be true and/or refuse to look at the evidence critically? Haven't you admitted before there is no evidence that will shake your faith? If so, seems like you are engaging in disingenuous truth-seeking.

The lack of evidence re: the Exodus should set a fair-minded person on the path that the Bible is not an entirely true account of anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
he does genuinely want to pursue truth but only one truth.

Evidence is used to support that truth rather than to inform it.

chez
Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
...on biblical principles which were written into the constitution, such as gold and silver coin, just weights and balances, for currency. ....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a direct descent type of thing. mosaic law -&gt; english common law as codified by alfred the great -&gt; our modern law.

if you want to provide an example of a legal parallel I would like to know about it, but it doesn't change the fact that ideas of the founding fathers like the one I mentioned above come straight from the bible. It was no secret.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Other cultures developed the concept independently. And what's so great about it anyway? In fact, I'd argue Jesus himself taught against "liking private property".

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but western culture gets it from the bible, not from chinese or indian derivation.
As to jesus, if you read the bible he is very clear about (re)affirming the ten commandments.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a direct descent type of thing. mosaic law -&gt; english common law as codified by alfred the great -&gt; our modern law.

if you want to provide an example of a legal parallel I would like to know about it, but it doesn't change the fact that ideas of the founding fathers like the one I mentioned above come straight from the bible. It was no secret.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it wasn't a secret. These ideas came "straight from the Bible" because these parts of the Bible are tautological and originally came from common sense passed down by other men. Surely this has occurred to you before.