Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Help me stop razor bumps

I have and have been using a Mach 3 for quite some time now and I love it. When I went up to Oregon a few weeks back to visit the folks, I figured I'd just buy a new razor up there, but as luck would have it, I got a free Gillette Quattro razor in the mail. I figured with 4 blades it'd be even better. I was way wrong. I had to go over places multiple times with it where my Mach 3 would finish it in one stroke.

Moral of the story: Mach 3 is the nuts.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:44 AM

I've quite the problem with these bumps. If you're as bad as me, the upward stroke will always cause 'some' problems. You've got to weigh how important an extremely clean shave vs. slight stubble is to you.

I also vouch highly for the Mach 3 and the full routine listed above.

I do not however, NOT vouch for Nair for men. Following the directions just left me with different lengths of hair all over. When I finally applied it long enough to solve the problem, my skin was raw and scabbed over for a week (The humor of this situation sure broke the ice at the date I was trying to use the damn product for).

Nor do I vouch for electric razors. My hair is either too course or curved awkwardly on my neck. I've tried many brands of razors and with all of them it takes too many shave overs before I'm cleaned up. This leads to raw skin and worse bumps.

The hot water rinse can not be gone without. Shaving in the shower if you have a steam resistant mirror is awesome.

Also, there was a prior thread in OOT, something to the tone of 'amazing products everyone should have but nobody knows about'. One of these was some sort of liquid or cream that is meant to specifically soften the skin and prevent shaving bumps. I haven't tried it, but it may be worth hunting down.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried shaving with an electric?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-05-2007, 08:45 AM

I used to have a really bad problem with this. They have razors specifically of this - bump fighter they are called, they are in most drug stores. Also, you can get aftershaves that help stop it - Tend Skin helps, for example. That combination has worked for me, it's all I use now. You won't get a really close shave, but IMO its better than painful, unsightly razor bumps.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 AM

Not sure of the other thread that recommends some kind of oil but King of Shaves makes some great stuff that has saved my face. the preshave oil is awesome, highly recommend. Linky
Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Ape- I used to struggle with this but it's no longer a problem. Here is what I do:

First of all, slow down. You need to take your time shaving and go slowly over each contour. You need to learn the contours of your neck. Look at your neck in a magnifying mirror and find out which way your hair runs. Everybody is different. You can't just say "Only shave down." My hair points down from my chin to my adam's apple, then it starts going sideways. You have to learn which way to shave each part of your neck. Go only once over each area.

I use a Gilette Sensor Excel 2-blade disposable and it works great. I don't think it matters much how many blades you have. What is more important is the control you have over it. The one I have is rigid which makes it easy to control. The ones pictured above look like the kind I got temporarily where the head floats and moves around. It gave me bumps so I would not recommend those.

Forget the preshave emulsion and aftershave stuff. It's all fine and doesn't hurt, but it's expensive and in my experience doesn't do a damn thing. All you need is just normal shaving gel and a good blade.

Make sure you only shave after a shower, when your skin is warm and open. When you are done, splash your face and neck with cool/cold water. That will tighten your skin and close it off from ingrown hairs.

Edit- I just checked and the one that gave me bumps was the Mach3 Turbo.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically do the opposite of what this dude says.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, buy overpriced [censored] that you don't need, when it will likely irritate your skin even more, excellent idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you irritate your skin more with a multi-blade than you do with a single blade disposable you are most likely at least half retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if I'm half-retarded or not but all sorts of different techniques and combos, etc etc would cause all kind of problems for me with the super-bumpy stuff. Way more than most normal people imo.
Amazingly enough, different people's skin can actually react differently to the same thing.

Eventually I stumbled upon the only way that I've found that actually works for me. YMMV on this one but for me it's the best shave I've gotten anywhere.

It involves just using soap instead of shaving-cream (I think I tried every different 'soothing' and other shaving-cream out there) and using a Gillette Lady Daisy razor (like with the shaving-creams, I tried a lot of different razors).
Really hot water is a nice help too but doesn't make THAT much of a difference really.

Yup. I shave with a Gillette Lady Daisy.
The Lady Bic is okay sometimes too but not quite as good.
I have no idea why Lady Daisy works better on my face than all the mens razors which were supposedly designed for faces. But those razors never give me the right kind of shave and very often leave me all bumpy a day later.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:57 AM

i had really senistive skin when i jined the military. I was then forced to shave every day, and really quick, so i started dry shaving.
I have not used shaving cream i like 6 years, i either shave right when i get out of the shower, or i hold a very hot rag on my face for a couple minutes, shave some, do the rag again, shave soe, repeat until finished.
Doing this have toughed my skin up, causing less breakouts, and getting rid of the few razor bumps i used to get on my neck.
i also use really cheap razors, where you can get like 20 for a dollar
whoever said the thing about taking your time and looking to see where your hair grows i also think is spot on. Thing is with this you ight have to try a few diffrent ethods beofe you find something that works for you.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM

A lot of good info for you here OP, only thing I can add that I learned from my brother who is a dermatologist is to leave the shaving cream on your face for 4-5 minutes after applying before shaving.

Also, if and when you do get those bumps. Take some Gold Bond Powder (the green menthol kind) and mix it in your hand with a few drops of water and spread that paste on the area at night.