Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Why no backgammon discussion?

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, have the bots become that pervasive and persuasive that opps are now making the two point?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, many strong players (particularly those from Denmark) now favor making the 2 point with an opening 6-4. This is clearly correct at some match scores, and clearly incorrect at others, but it is close at most even match scores.

I like 8/2 6/2 because it leads to fast games and provokes a lot of immediate misplays, and I play it about half of the time. I rarely play 24/14.

Bots used to overvalue making the deuce point, just as humans used to undervalue it. Now the evaluations aren't far from rollouts.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 PM

Another vote here for more backgammon discussion. I'd played a little 8-9 years ago and have only taken it up again now, but more seriously. Been to my local club once, now bought a couple books, and been practicing with gnung.

I think I'm hooked now!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 AM

Any money in this?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 AM

For those who missed the PartyGammon.com Million programme on TV,
PartyGammon is uploading all 5 programmes on Google video this week.
Here comes the first programme: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3192&hl=en
the first ever $1M backgammon tournament
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 AM

I have been having difficult finding a board I am happy with, so could someone point me in the right direction?

Specifically, I want it be large, non-leather with printed points on a felt type surface.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:44 AM

What do you guys reckon is the best computer program to play against? I'd like to have something to play during the more boring lectures that I have.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been having difficult finding a board I am happy with, so could someone point me in the right direction?

Specifically, I want it be large, non-leather with printed points on a felt type surface.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of decent boards you can get from a backgammon supplier like Carol Joy Cole. I'm not sure how large you mean; there are some small briefcase boards used in tournaments that may be around US$50. Larger tournament-quality boards like Crisloid boards may be $100-$200. Very nice hand-crafted boards can be $500-$2000.

Some people also watch for boards on eBay.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys reckon is the best computer program to play against?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gnu Backgammon is free, and may be the strongest. Other programs may be more user-friendly, and better in certain types of positions, or for certain types of analysis.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Any time I've bought a new computer, I've always downloaded the 20-day free trial of Snowie. I am a big fan of it - very user friendly. However, as a recreational player (play with friends maybe once a month), I cannot justify spending $380 on it.

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether the "Student" version is worth the $100 prize tag?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any time I've bought a new computer, I've always downloaded the 20-day free trial of Snowie. I am a big fan of it - very user friendly. However, as a recreational player (play with friends maybe once a month), I cannot justify spending $380 on it.

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether the "Student" version is worth the $100 prize tag?

[/ QUOTE ]
I bought the student version first, and then the professional version. I have also purchased other bots. I think both are easily worth it if you spend much time playing backgammon. I've spent thousands of hours on backgammon, so a few extra pennies per hour is not a big deal, particularly since it makes the time more efficient.

The student version does not analyze matches, that is, you can't feed in a match, analyze everything automatically, and then jump to the errors. For someone who plays a lot online, and wants to analyze everything, this is very valuable. It also lets you track your progress, so you can watch your error rate fall over time. However, you can play the student version with the "panels" open, and analyze every move as you play it. That gives you positive feedback on the plays you get right.

Gnu Backgammon is free, but it's not as user-friendly. It may be right for recreational players due to the price. Competitive players should get both Snowie Pro and Gnu.