View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I do not smoke weed
Agree 20 51.28%
Disagree 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Do you like the DH poll

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Baseball was healthier (and better IMHO) before DH's, juiced balls and steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just flat-out wrong. Old People's Syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur and I'm only 25 but can still remember the good ole days when guys used to steal bases and bunt and what not.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, my take.

It's an abomination, and I hate it.

I hate that it creates players that strictly play on offense (DH's) and defense (pitchers). This is baseball, not football.

I hate that it takes away double switches, pinch hit situations, and crucial late game decisions about pulling your pitcher.

I hate that pitchers can throw at guys carte blanche and not have to face opposing pitchers who can throw at them.

I hate that sluggers can get lazy and out of shape, but still demand top salaries because they can swing the bat and not be a defensive liability.

I hate that many little leagues have the rule, and some kids never get the opportunity to bat.

I hate when they muck with the rules to try and generate offense because some fans get "bored" with lower scoring games. Baseball was healthier (and better IMHO) before DH's, juiced balls and steroids.

I know I am older (40+) than most here and prefer the "pure" game, and perhaps I am in the minority, but I hate the DH. Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 21 and I agree.

It also annoys the hell out of me when I play baseball games and my buddy always wants to be home and play and an NL team which puts me at a disadvantage. Pretty lame.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I concur and I'm only 25 but can still remember the good ole days when guys used to steal bases and bunt and what not.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't do it now because it's -EV usually.

Anyway, I think the DH is a whatever rule. I prefer the DH, but that's only because I grew up as a fan of the American League.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:43 PM

the DH is good for the game. Bunts are boring, home runs are exciting. period. I don't really care how "hardcore" a fan you are, but to the masses, they dont give a flying [censored] about some perfectly layed down bunt, but love to see someone smack one out of the park.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, what Triumph said. It offers more versatility and flexibility in the lineup, a whole extra roster spot that means a lot. It gives you the flexibility to deal with nursing injuries, and makes you think about the health issues involved with some type of players. Remember Manny's injury last year? He could've DHed and played through it more effectively if David Ortiz couldn't play anything but DH. That's strategy right there. It offers more platoon opportunities for guys who would otherwise not make it. It can get better guys in the lineup, guys who make baseball a better game, or it can exacerbate your horrible management (see: Twins).

This can have a 3-8 win impact on your season. The strategy without the DH is more plentiful, and you have more sheer options, which makes people think it's more strategical, but it doesn't have nearly as big an impact. A manager can bungle it all the time and it's not going to be a huge deal; bungle the DH and you get the Twins.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Twins DH woes are hardly a symptom of horrible management.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't do it now because it's -EV usually.

Anyway, I think the DH is a whatever rule. I prefer the DH, but that's only because I grew up as a fan of the American League.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with both points

though the Twins would be a better team without the DH
Old 07-31-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, those aren't the good old days:

Denslow: Now wait a minute, hear me out! Now you kids with your loud music and your Dan Fogelberg ,your Zima, hula hoops and Pac-Man video games, don't you see? ......
....We can start fresh. Not allow teams to change cities or... players to be traded. And everybody will get paid the same! Just like when I was a kid, and players were treated like, like...

Coop: Indentured servants?

Those are the good old days.

craig
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 PM

Anti-DH crowd,

If baseball always had the DH in both leagues, would you be clamoring for its removal?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM

Yeah, getting zeros out of 3-4 spots out of your lineup which should be extremely productive is how I want my team managed.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:15 PM

Most decisions managers make are automated. I doubt the DH has much of an impact on strategy.