Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: what am i?
Bitter loser? 20 86.96%
True, true 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Ethics Question

Probably karma chop, unless the guy was a douche.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:09 AM

The overriding feeling seems to be that we need to take the pot because our opponents will rarely offer us the same courtesy of chopping or giving up the pot.

I would give up the pot to the best hand, even though he did not table it correctly, because, well, he called and he had the best hand.

I understand those who say it is a "stupid tax" on the guy for not reading OP's hand, and a 5-5 NLHE player should be more focused than a pure low-limit newbie. I just wouldn't make him pay that tax.

When I first started playing, I was appalled by a situation in a 4-8 limit game in Tunica. Big pot, fourth spade hits the river. Bet and call, bettor turns over A of spades and flings other card in the muck. Caller turns over Ks X and rakes the pot.

A of spades is irate, but rules are rules. Everyone at the table nods and agrees.

A few times, I have bluffed the river in a big NL pot, been called after some thought and announced, "nuts." A couple times, players have actually thrown their hands face down toward the muck. Both times, I quickly stopped them, said I was kidding, and turned over my busted draw.

Everyone has to live by their own code. I would not feel good about myself taking either of the pots I described. I would not feel good about taking OP's pot either.

But I also didn't have my case money on the table in any of these hands, and they weren't multi-thousand pots.

I guess that's the real test.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 AM

Chopping and keeping the whole pot seem acceptable. If the dude seemed like a good guy I'd chop. If not, I'd keep it.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 AM

The only time this happened to me, I ended up chopping the pot with my opponent. I had a flush on the turn, I put my opponent all in, he called and the river paired the board. I showed down my flush, he mucked.

Another player on the table asked to see his hand (it might seem douchebaggy for him to request to see someones hand when not involved in a pot but technically he's entitled to), and it turned out he rivered a boat.

Technically, his hand is mucked and I should win the pot regardless. But, for whatever reason, I just felt the right thing would be to chop the pot.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd take the pot and leave, looking over my shoulder all the way to the parking lot. I guess others might have the balls to keep playing, but I wouldn't care for the atomosphere after I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is a good line for earning an ass whooping.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 AM

If he was a good guy and/or a regular I'd chop.

He doesn't deserve any of the pot however regardless of if he tabled the A, you have to show both cards to take down the pot.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:59 AM

Depends on who it is. If it's some degenerate jerk who can stand the loss and ought to know better I'm probably keeping the whole thing.. in all likelihood he would. If it's some recreational player who would likely push the pot to me under the same circumstances I'm pushing it to him.

If it's Phil Laak pot is mine.

Also, I'm probably telling the floor person prior to any decision that his ruling is absolutely final so he doesn't deflect the responsibility of doing his job to me.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 AM

ya i agree...if he was a dick or comlaining after the hand i would have just kept it. otherwise giving him some would be fine
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Ethics Question - results

[ QUOTE ]
I really really needed the money. needing the money as in it was almost every dollar I had except for the loose change in my car and maybe 20 bucks in my checking account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good life bankroll management.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A few times, I have bluffed the river in a big NL pot, been called after some thought and announced, "nuts."

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this; it's a dick move even if you're kidding.