Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Million hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's a good defense against someone who limp/calls like 70% of the time OTB?

[/ QUOTE ]

play your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

r u serious?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

play your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

r u serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

if they open limp with weak aces on the button and an ace flops, you're never gonna bet them off the hand. thus, play your cards.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Well I wouldn't post this hand if it was some random guy . . . the hero in this hand is a MTT grinder with over 3k+ turneys just for stars in OPR and 240k+ in winnings (though only 31% ROI) - basically how can anyone win at MTTs like this over the long haul? I assumed he had acquired some kind of hand reading skills and would be able to fold his Ace.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I wouldn't post this hand if it was some random guy . . . the hero in this hand is a MTT grinder with over 3k+ turneys just for stars in OPR and 240k+ in winnings (though only 31% ROI) - basically how can anyone win at MTTs like this over the long haul? I assumed he had acquired some kind of hand reading skills and would be able to fold his Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he understands position and how to play postflop.

Looks like he made the correct read that you would represent an ace as the preflop raiser.

You sound like one if the donks online berating people for calling their bluffs.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You sound like one if the donks online berating people for calling their bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, tell you what if you ever see me doing it I'll ship you $500, and if I was really going to berate him I'd be telling everyone exactly who it was.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, tell you what if you ever see me doing it I'll ship you $500, and if I was really going to berate him I'd be telling everyone exactly who it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt he would be terribly offended. Fossilman made a well-known post recommending open limping on the button.

You got outplayed on this hand by a reasonably successful pro, and you think he is the one who was the donk.

BTW, if you had presented this hand from your point of view, you would have been critiqued for the tiny raise, building the pot OOP against a strong player; and for continuing to bluff on the turn when villain's call indicated it was likely he had an ace.

It seems like button in this post wins by playing a lot pots with people who will make postflop mistakes.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

make it rain
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would fold to the preflop raise. It looks like villain wants you to call, and you have a hand where you have no idea where you are postflop.

The postflop play just illustrates what a bad situation you got into by limp/calling preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You got outplayed on this hand by a reasonably successful pro, and you think he is the one who was the donk.

BTW, if you had presented this hand from your point of view, you would have been critiqued for the tiny raise, building the pot OOP against a strong player; and for continuing to bluff on the turn when villain's call indicated it was likely he had an ace.

It seems like button in this post wins by playing a lot pots with people who will make postflop mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented?

BTW I never called him a donk, I just thought he completely misplayed this hand.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

make it rain

[/ QUOTE ]

also add to buddy list
Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM

As I said, I wouldn't play it as he did preflop. I think he played it OK postflop, because the raiser will often bluff the ace high board.

Villain is limping on the button as a delayed steal and to outplay postflop with position. You didn't play the hand real well either, and that may compensate for villain's possibly incorrect preflop play.