Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: inexplicable leading ladies

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I think you are making a terrible mistake with Joan Crawford.

She became a mega star after getting third billing in the 1932 classic "Grand Hotel". This was an MGM star showcase and her performance in that film was outstanding; one of the best female performances of all time. If you can steal scenes in a movie with Greta Garbo in her prime, as Crawford did, you deserve the status of leading lady.

She may have been scary looking in her later years, but she definitely had star charisma and was a legitimate talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, another film nut, nice. Now I'm gonna have to rent Grand Hotel.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:19 AM

Daryl Hannah

Bland and not particularly attractive, Daryl Hannah is a big "Huh?" for me.

She's easily the weakest link in the classic Blade Runner. She followed that up with a huge homerun in Splash which despite great box office success is actually a really forgetable comedy . She's then in a flurry of movies in the late 80's before everyone else realizes they've been had. She doesn't do much of note after that until resurfacing in Kill Bill.

I know Tarantino has a thing for reviving the careers of washed-up actors, but, c'mon! Wasn't Fred Williamson available or something?

And who the Hell names their daughter Daryl?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:30 AM

Agree that her talents are limited, but disagree on how good Splash was and on her contribution to Blade Runner.

She was staggeringly, heart-stoppingly sexy in Blade Runner. Anyone who doesn't have a raging boner for her after that movie is sexually defunct. One spot of argument on your side, though: they say her stunt scenes were doubled, so the magnificent body and boobies she displayed in some of those shots weren't really hers. I find that easy to believe, as she has always been quite coke-wh*re thin, and the lusciousness of the body in Blade Runner was either someone else's or hers for only a brief moment in time.

She also has an extremely strong chin.

But Splash and Blade Runner were huge hits for her star that she(or her body double) well deserved.

Helmut Newton did an incredible shot of her with a baby on a patio once that I wish I could get now. She had a baby on her lap that wasn't hers, and the photographer noted that it was a perfect Hollywood shot, as it was obvious the model didn't give one f*ckdamn(or some such) about the baby whatsoever and was totally, vapidly consumed in herself, the perfect empty bitch. I was almost shaken by the combo of photo and text. If I were Hannah, I would have considered suicide on seeing that.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:45 AM

I have to disagree on Joan Crawford too. She's gotten terrible press since "Mommie Dearest", and there's some evidence Christina had an axe to grind, but at her peak, she was really, really good. Try watching her Oscar winning performance in "Mildred Pierce", she makes most modern actresses pale by comparison.

Paltrow was good before she became big, I liked her in "Emma", one of her first starring roles, but she took a bit of a bad turn later on, ego must have kicked in.

Cameron Diaz should have been a flavor of the month, how she lasted this long can only be explained by the fluke of her being cast in "There's Something About Mary".

Sarah Jessica Parker is rather inexplicable. She's helped by the fact she has an AMAZING plastic surgeon and she's smart enough to produce, so she can cast herself.

Only a semi-leading lady, Lucy Liu is rather baffling. She's not at all attractive, except by those infected with "Yellow Fever".
Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only a semi-leading lady, Lucy Liu is rather baffling. She's not at all attractive, except by those infected with "Yellow Fever".

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say this! I am probably the furthest away from "Yellow Fever" but Liu is one that I am crazy about!

I don't get it either.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say this! I am probably the furthest away from "Yellow Fever" but Liu is one that I am crazy about!

I don't get it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the term "Yellow Fever" is overused, and should be reserved for skinny nerdy dudes with those stocky Asian chicks who look like a miniature shot put champion.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A staunch believer in the idea that your lifelong sexual preferences are formed in youth, I grew up where there were virtually no white chicks who were attractive, and everyone attractive was Asian. I developed yellow fever as a natural outgrowth of getting an idea of what beauty was. And I still don't think Lucy Liu is outstanding.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:19 AM

I'm gonna go with:

Granted, she was really hot back in the day, but I've never thought of her as even a decent actress. It baffles me that she was the only cast member of LA Confidential to win an Oscar when she was by far the weakest link of the film. And she was absolutely gawd-awful in 8 Mile. Nothing like a bad Southern accent to remind you that a movie's set in Detroit.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree that her talents are limited, but disagree on how good Splash was and on her contribution to Blade Runner.

She was staggeringly, heart-stoppingly sexy in Blade Runner. Anyone who doesn't have a raging boner for her after that movie is sexually defunct. One spot of argument on your side, though: they say her stunt scenes were doubled, so the magnificent body and boobies she displayed in some of those shots weren't really hers. I find that easy to believe, as she has always been quite coke-wh*re thin, and the lusciousness of the body in Blade Runner was either someone else's or hers for only a brief moment in time.

She also has an extremely strong chin.

But Splash and Blade Runner were huge hits for her star that she(or her body double) well deserved.

Helmut Newton did an incredible shot of her with a baby on a patio once that I wish I could get now. She had a baby on her lap that wasn't hers, and the photographer noted that it was a perfect Hollywood shot, as it was obvious the model didn't give one f*ckdamn(or some such) about the baby whatsoever and was totally, vapidly consumed in herself, the perfect empty bitch. I was almost shaken by the combo of photo and text. If I were Hannah, I would have considered suicide on seeing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg, as 2+2 resident Blade Runner expert, I'll have to say that you are wrong about Daryl Hannah using a stunt woman in those scenes where she fights Harrison Ford. That's her. She was a gymnast and suggested the hand springs moves to R. Scott...
Old 07-21-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who's her mom? Blythe Danner or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.