Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 06:17 AM

Default Re: faith, religion, spirituality

I went to a catholic school my entire life. I have vast knowledge of the Bible, etc.

My final opinion is that there is most certainly a God. My definition of that is that there is no way anyone could create the amount of heat needed for the big bang theory, therefore, there has to be "something" that created everything.

Obviously it did not happen like Adam and Eve; I clearly still believe in the scientific facts of how the Earth was created. These two things work hand in hand.

Also, I want to believe in something because when I die, if I am examined, I want it to be that I lived the best life I could, etc.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 AM

I want to be able to support any stance that I hold at all times. This usually precludes me from having positions about a number of things. I don't even have gut reactions to a lot of questions I'm asked, as I need some time to consider it from all angles to the best of my ability.

I do not feel that my beliefs warrant or even need any respect. They're consistent with reality at all times.

I do not have many beliefs, and they are all very subject to change in light of new information.

I do not think that life is a zero sum game, partly because we don't still live in caves. I think that attempts to treat it as such lead to setbacks.

I think that good ideas and "truth" can stand on their own two feet, and don't need supporters.

I think that vocal proponents of ideas are a short term fix. Dawkins can convert people to atheism just like the pope can convince some people to become catholics. But there is no way that you'll get a "real" catholic or atheist through a few clever words and a video or green smoke.

I would rather see 5 people prosper because I helped them out than to see myself prosper. I figure I'll prosper anyhow.

I think that anyone who disagrees with anything without a reason for doing so is a moron.

I think that "I don't know" is a perfectly good answer.

I don't really know if any of this is what this thread is supposed to be getting at, and I guess it's more a description of the kind of person that I am. I'd like to think, though, that the idea of "spirituality" has something to do with the person that you try to make yourself be. The option is that it's just a game that people play with themselves to give life some sort of contrived meaning, and that's depressing to consider.

I deliberately left out controversial religious stuff, as it would open up a can of bicker. That's what SMP is for.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that anyone who disagrees with anything without a reason for doing so is a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 AM

taraz good post. You have summed up most my beliefs more eloquently than i could have (since i wouldn't have posted my own thoughts).
Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atheism imo = a religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is way off.
Atheism isn't a dogma like Christianity or Hinduism. Religions, in the simplest terms, are telling you what to believe and how to live your life. Thats it. Atheism [if you can call it that] doesn't pretend to know how you should live your life or what to believe. Its just a word for the mindset of a person that demands evidence for his/her beliefs.
Consider it, are you an astrologer? No? Whats the word for that? There isn't one. Theres no term for an non astrologer. Nobody wakes up and says 'I'm not an astrologer' If there was such a term, would we view that mindset on the same terms as astrology? of course not. For you to say that Atheism is a religion is the same thing as saying that non astrology is a superstition on a par with astrology.
As you learn more about the world, alchemy gives way to chemistry, astrology gives way to astronomy, and religion gives way to natural philosophy, of which atheism is a part.

[/ QUOTE ]

re·li·gion
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

As far as the definition of religion, atheism is one imo. Atheist get just as fervent and unwilling to budge their beliefs, in probably about teh same ratio as christians. there are tons of similarities imo, and I fail to really see the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that constitute a religion? Do you think science is a religion?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, arguing about the exact technical definition of atheism is the biggest waste of time that human beings have yet devised.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed, it was not my intention to argue a technical definition. i felt like his post warranted a response, maybe i'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't care whether atheism is a religion or not. That being said, these are important questions.

If you don't believe it, just listen for a while to the creationist crackpots who argue: evolution = secular humanism = atheism = religion. Thus, according to this half-logic, you can't teach evolution in schools unless you offer some cort of creationist alternative viewpoint.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Absolutely no bickering.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first time on 2+2?
Old 07-20-2007, 02:51 PM

Have not completely figured out my spirituality, except that any specific Christian religion is virtually guaranteed not to be completely accurate.

I think the answer probably lies in being extremely open-minded and considering very non-traditional and non-dogmatic points of view. Meditation will probably help, since it involves clearing the mind and clarity of thought, allowing your intuition and subconscious to have more influence.

It's probably more a journey than destination, since I think the "answer" is probably unknowable.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Atheism imo = a religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is way off.
Atheism isn't a dogma like Christianity or Hinduism. Religions, in the simplest terms, are telling you what to believe and how to live your life. Thats it. Atheism [if you can call it that] doesn't pretend to know how you should live your life or what to believe. Its just a word for the mindset of a person that demands evidence for his/her beliefs.
Consider it, are you an astrologer? No? Whats the word for that? There isn't one. Theres no term for an non astrologer. Nobody wakes up and says 'I'm not an astrologer' If there was such a term, would we view that mindset on the same terms as astrology? of course not. For you to say that Atheism is a religion is the same thing as saying that non astrology is a superstition on a par with astrology.
As you learn more about the world, alchemy gives way to chemistry, astrology gives way to astronomy, and religion gives way to natural philosophy, of which atheism is a part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's way off. There is a word for non-believing - it's atheism. And in fact it can be just as dogmatic as any "positive" religion. It's a strong belief in a thought about god, just like other religions. Devotees can believe with incredibly strong convictions, just like other religions. This is completely different from "not being an astrologer".
Old 07-20-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are basically three main components of any spiritual or religious system; morality (ethics), compassion (forgiveness) and purification.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't seem to fit with LaVey Satanism, for example, which is more about hedonism and freedom than compassion.