Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: TT in small blind with 25 people left in Tourny. what to do?

I shove this instantly! Your opponents will fold a lot, especially since they risk elimination if they look you up and lose. The 25K in the pot is 1/4 of your current stack and will be a very nice add-on. Remember, most people try to pick up blinds when bubble is nearing, because they've read aggression is good against those who play scared and just looking to cash. So, these people may look aggressive and active with their raising and blind stealing, but when they face a re-raise all-in, they fold faster than it takes for you to say "raise".

Re-raising to 40k, like someone mentioned is also nice, because it looks much stronger, and we might get JJ, or even QQ, to fold. Just remember, we MUST call if MP2 or Button comes over the top. And we are for sure open-jamming any flop without hesitation.

I really don't like calling here. TT is a strong hand, why play it for set value??? And how do we plan to play it OOP when an overcard flops? We could end up folding the best hand on a scary looking board this way. Why make a play that likely puts us in a difficult position? Why make poker so hard to play?

Sidenote: Someone pointed out that Button's cold-call looked strong, because he just invested 1/6th of his stack. It might look strong, but most donks just call here without a plan hoping they'll catch a lucky flop. Don't worry about Button.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ive thought about that after few minutes after posted mine
and got your point
i think this is very nice move in tournes with high buy-in ($50+)
but in situation when this is _lower buy-in_ OR they _sily enough and want to see flop with AK and go away in bad flop (still having some money to play with, even very low) such raise would be a mistake

anyway very good move, but i push here, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite get you here. Surely if you think the other guy is going to play AK like that - i.e only seeing 3 cards instead of five, then the raise would become an even better play?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont really know if anyway even call such reraise i just suppose some players will and you better push now to evaide that.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like calling here. TT is a strong hand, why play it for set value??? And how do we plan to play it OOP when an overcard flops? We could end up folding the best hand on a scary looking board this way. Why make a play that likely puts us in a difficult position? Why make poker so hard to play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a question: I assume a SNG, with a call and shove any flop, is way too risky given the stack sizes and the fact that you’ve got two opponents right? I’ve had some success with SNGs but I’m still learning when and when not to use that tool. (sorry if this is a thread jack, just trying to confirm my thinking)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a question: I assume a SNG, with a call and shove any flop, is way too risky given the stack sizes and the fact that you’ve got two opponents right? I’ve had some success with SNGs but I’m still learning when and when not to use that tool. (sorry if this is a thread jack, just trying to confirm my thinking)

[/ QUOTE ]

A Stop'n'Go is best used against one opponent and when your stack is too small to make your opponent fold against a re-raise all-in. TT is a bit strong to SNG, better to shove and perhaps get a call from 77-99 who thinks you're FOS. Those hands are more likely to call you pre-flop, rather than calling your flop shove on a board with overcards.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:38 AM

I'm not sure how most of you seem to assume that if we push and are called we are always a coinflip at best, as this could easily look like a squeeze on our part. My only concern is MP2 actually waking up with a big hand, but his opening range is pretty wide 7 handed late in an MTT..... If MP2 folds, I'm not really concerned about the button in this spot. With him already having 1/6th of his stack invested and facing one opponent, he could easily be looking to gamble with a lot of A-Xs or even a smaller pocket pair thinking we have overs. I think this is especially true if the buy in is relatively small.