Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Steve Forte, author of Poker Protection - arrested in NJ

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unless he has some proof that he was going to blow the whistle on the scam, he is as guilty as the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

lets not rush to judge unintentionally due to wording, remember Steve oddly is one of us; his research has helped expose the scams which are much rarer today. I think what you really intended to say is "Unless he has some proof that he was going to blow the whistle on the scam, he is likely to be found as guilty as the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't comment on the case, but I can say that his book, "Poker Protection" is truly outstanding and worthy of all the praise that it has gotten (and more). Any person playing for any appreciable stakes needs to read it.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Unless he has some proof that he was going to blow the whistle on the scam, he is as guilty as the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

lets not rush to judge unintentionally due to wording, remember Steve oddly is one of us; his research has helped expose the scams which are much rarer today. I think what you really intended to say is "Unless he has some proof that he was going to blow the whistle on the scam, he is likely to be found as guilty as the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he was willing to let people get scammed (and not blow the whistle on the crooks) just so he could write a book about cheating, in my book he is as guilty as the scammers.
The justice system may come up with a different verdict, but how can you justify such actions? What would you say if you were one of the players to fall victim to the scam? Would you say he had no responsibility to notify the authorities?

Not saying he is guilty or innocent. Just saying that "I was just there to do research" is not an excuse.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Unless he has some proof that he was going to blow the whistle on the scam, he is as guilty as the rest. "I was just there to do research" is not an excuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

To da judge and jury: "This was a supervised experiment to see if it was possible to cheat the players using electronic methods. Everything was being documented for later publication and all funds taken from the marks was to be returned".
Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 PM

I don't understand the quote you are providing from Steve, was it literally, "I was at the wrong place at the wrong time?" and not, "I was just observing" even it if makes little difference?

Can you elaborate about being a class act?

I hear that phrase tossed around quite a bit, what does it mean in the cases mentioned in this thread?

The classiest thing a friend ever did for me poker-wise was to fold his winner on the river in a three-way hand so I didn't have to reach into my pocket to rebuy in a cash game, not that I knew about it until he told me later (hmmm, some would say that's not classy for poker though).
Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 AM

I'm trying hard to think of ways to excuse Steve, but I'm coming up with bupkus:

...analogy to an imbedded reporter in an unjust war or occupation...

That's the best I can do, but only governments can be dismissive of collateral damage.