Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: inexplicable leading men

[ QUOTE ]
I've mentioned this before, but every time Nicolas Cage gets a $20,000,000 paycheck, I scratch my head. I just don't understand it. He's the worst actor I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm...Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation.

I second Keanu Reeves.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM

How about Mickey Rourke? Decent actor, but way too creepy for a leading man, despite 9 1/2 Weeks.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it weren't for his parents, this guy would be working part-time at a car wash...

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, i disagree a million percent.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 PM

Blarg,

did you just say that jack black was good in school of rock? thats kind of weird because i watched about 10 minutes of it on cable and it seemed like your standard really really lame movie for 12 year olds. im just curious what you liked about that film.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If it weren't for his parents, this guy would be working part-time at a car wash...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's proven himself since his free "gimmie" career, but wow he started out as a total nothing and got huge play despite it.

So you're both right in a way.

On another note, he hasn't proven that spectacular overall. I've kind of been waiting for the shine of his star to dull a bit. I think he gets a lot of credit for Something About Mary, but I'm not sure as much of the heat he got from that movie is really about his performance so much as being in the right place at the right time. I don't think he contributed a whole lot that I couldn't see being replaced by any other halfway talented comic actor.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's proven himself since his free "gimmie" career, but wow he started out as a total nothing and got huge play despite it.

On another note, he hasn't proven that spectacular overall. I've kind of been waiting for the shine of his star to dull a bit. I think he gets a lot of credit for Something About Mary, but I'm not sure as much of the heat he got from that movie is really about his performance so much as being in the right place at the right time. I don't think he contributed a whole lot that I couldn't see being replaced by any other halfway talented comic actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought he was really great in Dodgeball, which reminds me of how bad Vince Vaughn has been in everything besides Wedding Crashers and Made. It was like he wasnt even acting in Dodgeball, although there wasnt much he could do with the script I guess. I think Stiler did a great job in Envy, Meet the Parents, Duplex, Royal Tennenbaums and Something about Mary. Him and Luke Wilson are great at playing the normal guy in an absurd situation. Its hard to imagine that Meet The Parents would have been as good with another actor in the role, where as Deniro could have easily been replaced by anyone.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM

I agree that Tobey Mcquire sucks. So does the kid that looks like him from Lord of The Rings. I might get criticized for this but Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins and Sean Connery have all sucked big time, for a long time.

Two Words: Ben Affleck.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought he was really great in Dodgeball, which reminds me of how bad Vince Vaughn has been in everything besides Wedding Crashers and Made. It was like he wasnt even acting in Dodgeball, although there wasnt much he could do with the script I guess. I think Stiler did a great job in Envy, Meet the Parents, Duplex, Royal Tennenbaums and Something about Mary. Him and Luke Wilson are great at playing the normal guy in an absurd situation. Its hard to imagine that Meet The Parents would have been as good with another actor in the role, where as Deniro could have easily been replaced by anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Meet the Parents was absolutely terrible and completely crushed a good premise with awful phoned-in writing, which you have to blame the director for usually unless he had little control on the edit or writing, which actually happens quite a bit when dealing with big stars or fathead producers. But it was just a hugely disappointing, completely pedestrian movie that wasted the incredible, lightning-strike score of a Robert DeNiro appearance, without which the movie wouldn't have gotten a tenth of the buzz and marketability.

P.S. when mentioning Vaugh, you forgot what he's still riding hard, his really good performance in Swingers.

He's playing such different roles now, that it's like he has a separate career, though. He's pretty far from the skinny goofball almost-hipster he used to be. I wonder how long he's going to sustain his career at anything like its heights.

I think he reminds me of Chevy Chase a bit. Similar attitudes and charm, getting older, trying to cram childish roles into an adult face and a heavy body. Easy to see as having an uncertain future and going on endlessly despite never achieving anything even a little interesting every again.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Kiefer Sutherland

& I second the nomination for Ben Affleck

Don Johnson
Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 AM

Wow Kiefer Sutherland is a great one. He's void of both looks and charisma. I was stunned when he got on 24 and became a bad-ass, because he's was laughably lackluster and looked like his skin had been indifferently filled with lumpy porridge. I don't think I found as indifferent a leading man since another short, fat (and balding) Michael Keaton shocked and repulsed the planet by being chosen to play Batman.