Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best Cirque du Soleil in Vegas?
Mystere 3 12.50%
"O" 3 12.50%
Zumanity 1 4.17%
KA 5 20.83%
LOVE 4 16.67%
Never seen any before ... 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: When exactly did Sportscenter start to become unwatchable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the hate for ESPN or MTV....they gave us ESPNews and MTV2 for serious music/sports, and then make the primary station more enttertainment based. Why not just watch EspnNews or MTV2 and stop complaining?

[/ QUOTE ]

For most people EspnNews is on a different tier of cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, not HD.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM

Comcast Digital in Baltimore...

a week or two ago -

channel 3 = ESPN2
5 = ESPNNEWS
6 = ESPN

Now they moved ESPNNEWS to somewhere in the 260's. Grrrr
Old 07-17-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the hate for ESPN or MTV....they gave us ESPNews and MTV2 for serious music/sports, and then make the primary station more enttertainment based. Why not just watch EspnNews or MTV2 and stop complaining?

[/ QUOTE ]

For most people EspnNews is on a different tier of cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, not HD.

[/ QUOTE ]
In Phoenix, ESPNEWS or whatever it's called is on the Cox digital tier, requiring a digital box. I gave that up a long time ago since it didn't play well with my DVR. Pity. They also moved ESPN Classic to that tier some time ago, which sucks.

Another cosign on the stupidity of Who's NOW. Yeah, I know the thread isn't about that but it's just baffling to see a reputable columnist like Michael Wilbon taking (or pretending to take) something that embarrassingly lame seriously. It just hurts his credibility.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Another cosign on the stupidity of Who's NOW. Yeah, I know the thread isn't about that but it's just baffling to see a reputable columnist like Michael Wilbon taking (or pretending to take) something that embarrassingly lame seriously. It just hurts his credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't he come pretty close to giving up his columnist position at the Post to become more of a full-time ESPN talking head? I doubt he's terribly thrilled about Who's Now, but I think this is what he does now, which is too bad.

I realize a lot of people have been hating SC for a while, but I watched it the other day for the first time in the Who's Now era and it is amazingly grating. It's really the first time that I definitely see what everybody is complaining about.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]This is really stupid. You don't have a problem with them completely bastardizing either one? MTV is a complete joke of a station. Possibly the shittiest station on TV.

ESPN as a whole is just horrible. In retrospect, what Fox Sports has done with the local coverage has been pretty nice. Now if they could do a worldwide sports station, I would be estatic. FSC already pwns because they cover soccer around the world. It would be nice to see a Fox Cover the Euroleague or maybe the other domestic Baseball leagues in the Latin America or Asia. Even other sports like Rugby would be sweet as well.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When SC started pushing agendas and sports based on their broadcast rights and relationships, as opposed to simply reporting the results and providing analysis in a straightforward yet humorous way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark, you're so good at positng. This is the god's honest truth. They are so obvious in their agenda that is pushes a lot of people off of it. But the huge sportcenter mythology that developed from people loving them like they did in the early years will last them a very long time.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When SC started pushing agendas and sports based on their broadcast rights and relationships, as opposed to simply reporting the results and providing analysis in a straightforward yet humorous way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark, you're so good at positng. This is the god's honest truth. They are so obvious in their agenda that is pushes a lot of people off of it. But the huge sportcenter mythology that developed from people loving them like they did in the early years will last them a very long time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do NOT stroke Clark's ego, it can barely fit into the forum as it is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You're both right though. Best example: X Games. Something that nobody gives a crap about that they hyped relentlessly. ESPYs are another example of something contrived that is pimped to death. GOD I HOPE THEY NEVER GET THE RIGHTS TO THE WNBA I WILL KILL MYSELF.

Also, whoever said that arena football will be shoved down our throats is right, if it's true that they have the rights next year.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:30 PM

When Olbermann and Kilborn left.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM

Sports Reporters became unwatchable when Dick Schaap died.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, whoever said that arena football will be shoved down our throats is right, if it's true that they have the rights next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

They had them this year. So apparently not.