Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: It Is Ridiculous To Say That Religious Beliefs Conflict With Science

it seems like it would be hard to draw conclusions about the past from evidence if you have to account for suspensions of the natural laws. since many of the disciplines of science claim to do this, it seems to me that there is a conflict.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: however, dont forget...

[ QUOTE ]
even if the properties are changed though, this in no way takes away the fact that 1+1=2

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were an omnipotent god, surely it could change 1+1=2. For example, I have one shoe, and when I add it to a second shoe, god makes a third shoe magically appear. Only it doesn't happen only with shoes; it happens with everything (even ideas in our heads). In that example, god has made 1+1=3.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: however, dont forget...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even if the properties are changed though, this in no way takes away the fact that 1+1=2

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were an omnipotent god, surely it could change 1+1=2. For example, I have one shoe, and when I add it to a second shoe, god makes a third shoe magically appear. Only it doesn't happen only with shoes; it happens with everything (even ideas in our heads). In that example, god has made 1+1=3.

[/ QUOTE ]

um that sounds like 1+1+1=3
Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: It Is Ridiculous To Say That Religious Beliefs Conflict With Scien

[ QUOTE ]
It Is Ridiculous To Say `It Is Ridiculous To Say That Religious Beliefs Conflict With Science.' It is ludicrous. It is preposterous. It is downright loony.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto.

I think somewhere along the way I managed to mangled science and religion and ended up riiight about at loonyville. It probably is and was brutally obvious in almost every one of my posts to date. So... sorry to SMP for my jackassery and I probably owe my friends in real life an apology for my endless shenanigans. (Good thing they don't read the forums (wtf).)

So, yeah... DS, I just don't see it. Mixing science and religion, at least in my experience, doesn't really work.

Edit: I didn't think that deserved its own thread and it kind of fit nicely right there [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: It Is Ridiculous To Say That Religious Beliefs Conflict With Science

I always thought (as a scientist) that we tell the world "What happens(ed)" and Religion tries to tell the world "Why".